What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propagation q:

Well I have these 7 Paphs, and about 5 of them has 1-3 basal shoots each.
What I need to know is: is there an easy and safe way to pot these shoots into their own pots without killing them?

I haven't uprooted them yet to check the roots on the shoots, as they're still in high bloom.

Any tips on how to?

Reason I ask is, if I transplant them successfully, they'll be up for sase, as I hear these guys are a tad tricky to find in the states.

Grateful for any help on this!

/Quensel

I don't know what size the new lead growths are at this point, but it would be best to let them grow out and bloom. I would not divide the plant until it is up to size, and then the older leaf fan could be seperated from the front of the plant. You could divide all the fans up individually once they are finished growing, but if there's no root system for each, you've got a problem. Best to put some size on your Paph. before dividing, especially if it's a desireable clone.

Trent

A general rule of thumb for orchids is to try to have a minimum of three growths on a division. That's probably overly cautious for a Paph, but it's best to be extra careful for your first attempts.

Back