What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Schomburgkia tibicinis, anyone grow these?

well since ive been growing orchids for some time and i have a growing interest in ant plants i purchased a small flask of these off of ebay this weekend. is anyone here growing them or a relation? i realize they get big but i will have a greenhouse built by next fall so space wont be a problem. any personal observations?

Rattler

no one huh. out of curiosity who all on here is a semi-serious to serious orchid grower? im mean as in someone who has moved away from the normal Phals, Oncidiums and Dendrobiums found at supermarkets and such and have gone one to growing the more unusual, less common stuff like, well i dont know, mini Catt's, Stanhopeas, Phrags, odd-ball Dendrobium species, ect ect ect. i know lots of ppl on here grow the common stuff but im more interested in the non walmart and lowes orchids not that there is anything wrong with those. Darla insists on pickng one up every so often and they comprise about 1/3 of my orchids at the moment. most of these odd balls aint all that difficult to take care of and i find them more interesting just because fewer ppl have them.

Rattler

Rattler,
You're not alone. Schoms are great! Here in south Florida we attach them to trees and let them do their thing. Speaking of orchids off the beaten path: we just had a Grammatophyllum martae finish blooming. It was a first time blooming seedling with a seven and a half foot long spike. It grows happily side by side with the Nepenthes.

Trent

That's a fascinating genus, but the plants are too big for me.  I prefer oddball plants too and, of my 70 or so plants, only three are "normal" plants.  But they all have to fit under an 18" x 48" fluorescent fixture or in the few windows that aren't reachable by cats or over radiators.

Getting into Neps a couple years ago has really messed up my world because of their competition with orchids for growing space.  In fact, I'm even agonizing over what to do with my prime orchid, a Gongora galeata.  The thing grows like a weed and cannot go back to where it's hung the last couple winters.

Even though Gongoras consume less space than Stanhopeas, it's overgrowing its 8" basket and needs to go in a 12.  I used to choose orchids based on what I liked or based on humidity or light requirements.  Now small size is the prime attraction and even Gongoras want too much room.

i like alot of the mini species too. i realize Stanhopeas take up space but i figured i could deal with one or 2 big orchids. that was before the desition was officially made to build a greenhouse. the small species, especially the epiphatics are my favorites though. i have a blue and an orange mini Cattleyas that should bloom on the current new growth. i have a couple different ones mounted on tree fern fiber hanging off of my Nepenthes pots. Gongora is another must get for me. eventually ill get one. Darla has decided that she likes blue and purple Vandas, no to rare but not to cheap either. im always on the look out for a new orchid. space isnt at a premium yet but i think i will really need the space of a greenhouse by next fall.

Rattler

I like real small mounts and hang them off of pots like that too.  They hang even better off of wire baskets and, with creative wire bending, can hang off a wooden basket.  My windows are narrow, mostly 18" - 22" widely, but I have fit 12 or more orchids in each, by using lots of hooks and hanging one of another off another.

For smaller size orchids, we grow Cirrhopetalums and Bulbophyllums on the benches with the Nepenthes. They grow in identical conditions in our greenhouse. The Cattleyas are off to the side in the dry area of the greenhouse. Vandas can really eat up space too. We have a huge V. Gordon Dillon 'Lea' in bloom right now with two spikes. From the trailing roots to the tip of the spike its over six feet tall. Small orchids have definite advantages.

Trent

Bulbophylums huh? you wouldnt happen to have odoratissimum by chance? im lookin for this one. i saw it at Orchids Limited a couple weekends ago but i had a couple other orchids higher on my list to get. it appeared to spread like a weed.

Rattler

Hey Rattler - I have one to trade before Fall. It came as the final plant in a trade a couple months ago. Sort of the plant to be named later. It has three pseudobulbs. If you're interested in it, let me know.

sure would be interested. let me know what yah might be looking for, CP's or otherwise. i grow odd-ball plants and Orchids along with my CPs plus i am a bit of a rockhound and if your interested in that i may have some real goodies for yah.

Rattler

Hi Rattler,

Since Schoms grow naturally here and my father has grown them for a long time i think what I will say can help you a lot.

Schoms. grow in the branches of high trees and at exposed places, they grow better when they get full sun. They also like hot weather as they come from the lowlands.

If you can give it some humidity, good amounts of light, a coarse and well drained medium, warm to hot weather and lots of space it will grow well for you without difficulty.

add a lil humidity in a greenhouse and they will absolutly love our summers. thanks for the info!

Rattler

Back