What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dendrobium

O.K
smile.gif
Put it on a window(at least 4 hours of direct sun is good for this orchid)
Water it when the soil is almost dry. Not before, or you risk root rot.
You can use tap water. Dont put it on the tray system.
You dont need to mist it. Please post a picture, as there are 2 kinds of Dendrobiums, ones that have dormacy, and ones that dont. I will be avle to tell which one it is by looking at the leaves.
smile_m_32.gif
Post a picture of the flowers while youre there too.
smile_m_32.gif

Dino
cool.gif

Congratulations!

Where did you get it?  New orchids from somewhere other than a retail orchid nursery often need to be repotted as soon as possible.  The orchid wholesalers commonly ship orchids right before they would ordinarily repot them.  That avoids interrupting the bloom and saves them the cost of repotting.  But those nicely blooming orchids can be sitting in a sour mix.  Repotting will usually stop the bloom, but it's good for the long term.

Im re-potting mine after blooming, the soil mix looks O.K to me.........
But then again, U.K and the U.S.A are different.
biggrin.gif

Dino
cool.gif

you guys know alot about orchids, i got it at wal mart from some orchid dealer in hawii, it was planted in charcoal, and i'll post pics ASAP

Charcoal?!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
i didnt know you could grow orchids in charcoal!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Charcoal is a good medium for dendrobiums generally. And is used for shipping I guess becuase it's cheaper and lighter than bark chips. They like coarse, chunky soil. If the charcoal looks whole, and is not degrading, I'd leave it in it for a season or two more.

Where are the pics, Kirk?
confused.gif

Back