What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A word to the wise

Also......Im not surprised that Dendrobium has problems due to overwatering......its in pure spaghnum moss!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
that is waaaaaay too wet for Dendrobiums. Dendrobiums like fast draining, chunky soil that doesnt retain a lot of water, but pure spaghnum is scarily wet.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Ok, so I need to repot it. I will, by the way, how often should I repot my orchids?

ummmm, about once every 2 years, or when the soil becomes really decomposed.....whichever comes first.
Some, like Pleione, need reppoting every year.

Some resent disturbance and should only be repotted if absolutely necessary, while others can't go as long as a year. Dendrobiums are in between.

I am partial to large chunks of cork wood or similar. True epiphytism- rooting into decaying wood and bark.

Joe

I like mounted plants too, but not all epiphytes do well mounted outside their native habitat.  My best example is my Encyclia prismatocarpa.  It struggled for nearly two years mounted on a wooden basket.  I finally filled the basket with my favorite mix of coconut husk chips and sponge rock and had to jump out of the way before the suddenly growing plant knocked me over.  It's getting big now and, at risk of hexing myself, I think it might bloom for the first time this year.

i have to agree with Bruce yet again. ive had some real problems growing mounted orchids. but i do love the look of a proberly mounted orchid. if i ever get a greenhouse built and get an automated misting system setup you can bet im going to really give them a good try again. also would like to try it with some neps and Utrics.

Maybe I should say something political. Then Rattler and I can get back to disagreeing.

I have a lot of mounted orchids that do well. But not all species will here.

A lot of how you grow epiphytic orchids depends on the humidity and air movement. Here in south Florida we can grow Dendrobiums in wooden baskets or in clay pots with no mix. This is normal for Vandas and Ascocendas, where a potting mix may actually promote rot problems. Just set the plant in the pot and let it go.
I wouldn't try mounting a Nep like an orchid. They have a very fine root system, and need a fine mix to root into.

This weekend I just mounted a Phaelenopsis hybrid to a chunk of Manzanita.

So far it looks good. I can't resist trying epiphytes mounted at least once, if it dies on to a new plant.

Joe

I'd be careful about making blanket statements about "orchids." There are some orchids that like a lot of water. I keep my phrags sitting in pure water. I let the water evaporate out and then refill the container. But certainly you can't do that with most orchids or you'll get root rot. When it comes to water, you need to look at the natural habitat for each species.

Just wanted to toss that in.
smile.gif

I would agree with most of the too lil regiman, but the light one. Granted you may be blooming one now that you can do pretty much anything to and it will bloom, but most orchids should be a yellowish green in color. Then you know they are getting enough light. Don't give a Cattleya enough light and it will just grwo and grow and not flower. Hybreds might, but not species. I have found that the best thing you can do with orchids is to have ALOT of air circulation. Things just look so much better when you do. I have a Cat hybred growing in a pot with sphag, and that is suposed to be a no no, but its growing great. Granted everyones conditions make everyones growing a little different, but they do flower better if given enough light to yellow the leave just slightly. They flower better if fertalized weakly weekly. 1/4 strength. Give eepson salt 2 times a year at tablespoon per gallon. Don't let water stand in the crowns of monopodials during the night. That doesn't mean don't get it there just make sure you water in the morning so it has the day to evaporate. you don't want water to stand there and get stagnent. thats what causes rot. Orchids will grow faster the more water you give, BUT only if they are ready to be watered again. Thats where the air movement helps. Orchids stigmas do not function like other plants they are permanantly open so they loose water faster than other plants. So if you can evaporate water faster they can be watered faster and they grow faster. This does not mean keep them wet and they will grow. The medium has to be ready to accept more water and not be soggy. If I confused someone please ask a question. It is late at night and I am just spitting out info. Thanks everyone!!

At the beginning of the summer as you know, I thought I lost the plant that I was started this topic about. Well through the process of neglect, the plant has revived. Thanks for the help and advice.

32987058O886923322.jpg

Back