What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal halides

I'm wanting to grow orchids indoors. I can control temp and humidity but all the research I've done recommends flourescent and incandescent tubes as lighting. The issue is the recommended wattage only comes in 4ft long tubes, and the area I'll be growing them in is only about 2x3feet. I'm wanting to use a 70watt metal halide and was wondering if this is at all possible. If not what are my other options?

Hey,
As long as you have a tall enough area to keep the light up away from the plants.(heat factor) You also need ventilation for HID lights. (removing heat buildup) Consider how this will effect your control of temp and humidity. HID lights are excellent lights but are for people with money and time to put into their use as well as higher cost than most fluoro to run. Google for closet growing and read up on factors for Halide growing in small areas.

Good Luck
Joe

hey,

looks like you were able to post!
smile.gif
welcome to Terraforums... maybe you will spread your addiction past orchids.
smile.gif

RamPuppy: probably...I've already been thinking about venus fly traps but thats further down the road...one obsession at a time.

Superimposedhope:
Metal Halides are really the best option for me b/c we'll be moving in a year and I'll hopefully have a window I can move the orchids too and we can recycle the halide to an aquarium (we are heavy into salt water aquariums). Also it is what I am most familiar with, and I'll be relying on the heat it puts off to account for the 10-20 degree change between day and night temperatures for the orchids.

Is a 70watt metal halide going to be enough?

If you are familiar with halides and their pros and cons then I would personally shoot for like a 150wtt. As I undderstand it, halide and HPS are both very inefficient until you get to like 200-300wtts a bulb but they are still superior in PAR lighting as far as penetration and spread. Keep a close eye and for s**ts and giggles I would keep a smoke detector as close as possible to the grow area, just in case. *ya just never know*

If you've never grown under a halide, wow, the difference is amazing.
Joe

Hiya,
I do not know the exact anwser to your question.....but I dont bother with flourescent lights and equipment like that......although I will have to get some flourescents this year for my Vanda.
if you have an east facing windowsill, thats all you need for the most part.:;): well.....any windowsill is good, but the east is the best, however south is a bit too sunny for most orchids except for Vanda, and North is too dark. west is o.k, but the afternoon sun is very strong and may burn your plants.

Here is a good forum for orchids:

http://www.ukorchidforum.com/

I am on there, my username is Starman.
smile_m_32.gif

The only window I've got is shaded from the balcony all the time and faces west but not west enough to get any light in.

Well, First off let me say this.

1) You can get away with sunny windows for quite a few plants.

2) HID lights are for serious growers with the time, money, and plants to make it efficient space and money wise.

3) Fluoros are good beginner lights and even worth keeping for plants that with low light needs or just supplementing natural light. Never knock fluoros they are good lights.

The thing is if you want to go HID then you should consider the efficiency of wattage used to amount of plants, space in windows, how much your plants are worth to you. HID is far more efficient for quality light but that is not to say that anything else is not worth it. Many a grower on here have grown for double digit years under fluoros with great success. HID is for intense light needs and well............. showing off. Really its like comparing Actinics fluoros to Metal Halides, they are different and have their own qualities and negativities. Consider each carefully. Starman may be right, if you have few plants I would look for a cheaper way unless you are set on the best (most expensive) for your plants or you are ready to begin a serious project that will continue an average cost of lets see:

We'll say $.07 a KWttHour
Leave it on 12 hours a day that = $.84 a day.
30 Days a month makes a running total of $25.20 a month extra.

Now we'll say you only ran a 250wtt. That would make a total of $6.30 a month extra. Costs depend locally on your power company. Thats just my local. You get what I'm saying. Thats just 1 factor.

Joe

I would rather do the flourescents, but all of them are so large. Do you know of smaller ones? I just can't see doing 4ft tubes for a 2x3 space. Thanks for the break down Joe!
smile.gif

O yeah,

Fluoros come in 12", 18", 24", 36" and 48" even 72" for industrial. Any Home Depot or Lowes, etc... carries all these as well as a wide selection of bulbs that fit them.

Take care
Joe

i have drosera, pings, sarrs and nepenthes color up nicly under flourecents. they are good lights. not better than sunlight but good lights

You can also consider compact fluorescents, these are good for indoor growing and fit well in your small space.

Back