What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phalaenopsis question

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
This fall when I brought my orchids inside I placed them on a table near the sliding glass door.
It proved to be too much direct sunlight on the Phalaenopsis, as the newest leaf it was growing got burnt. After a few days this leaf browned and came off.
It has started a new plant off the main plant some time ago, I also have one that started on a spent flower stalk I chopped. Will the original growing point that the damaged leaf was growing from, start to grow again?

I've lost a new leaf like that and had another start. The next one aims in the opposite direction, as you'd expect from the next leaf. That can happen if it's the leaf, not the underlying growth point, that was damaged. I think that's what you should expect, but don't know for sure.

Hmmm...  How large was the leaf that got burnt and fell off?  If it was small enough, it may have seriously affected the growing point when it browned and fell off.  In addition, I find it strange that only the newest leaf got burnt while the others remained unaffected.  Could it have maybe had a mild case of crown rot in its initial stages that coincided with being brought indoors by a bright window?  I have found Phalaenopsis readily adapt to and enjoy very bright light levels, often responding with rapid growth and formation of an extra flower spike or two.

Back