What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oops

Looks like a weed seedling to me too. The plant also looks quite wet, which is not good. The plant looks probably too far gone to rescue, and I would have taken it back to the seller after deteriorating so rapidly. The colour of the leaves in the latest pic is really brown and it looks virtually dead to me. Sorry not to be optimistic.

It looks kind of like it has had a frost actually.

Nope,no frost.There hasn't been frost here in Canada for months now.I did exactly what Rob-Rah told me to do.Put it in a baggie with the bark and don't water it.And this is what happened.And I kept it out of the sun so I wouldn't stew it,just like you said.So I wonder what's growing there then.I'm gonna save it and see
smile.gif
I sent the nursery where I got it from an email and pic of the plant and she still hasn't gotten back to me on that,and I couldn't take it back cause the place is over an hour away and with these gas prices my mom didn't want to drive all the way out there,which is understandable.Oh well.~Niki~

When ever you buy an orchid check that the roots arn't brown. And if mold,fungi or moss are growing on the bark repot it immediatly.

Tre, I disagree with you on reppoting an orchid immediatly if you find moss on the surface, a much better option is to scrape away the moss from the bark or take off some of the bark pieces of the top that have moss on them and replace them with a few fresh pieces, reppoting would cause unnecersarry disturbance

There is usually only moss whenthe orchid potting mix has decayed. Obviously don't do this if its flowering because you will cause loss of the flower. A couple of my friends are commercial orchid growers and they agreed that if anything besides sphagnum is used when it starts absorbing water to change the medium

Hey guess what! I finally heard back from the nursery and she's gonna replace my Orchid
biggrin.gif
I also just won three Orchids from the same person from Ebay.This is what I won:Orchid Odontoglossum Bllra.Tahoma Glacier 'Green" $8.30Canadian,Pansy Orchid Miltonia 'Chris Ellis Cross' $5.05Canadian and a Fragrant Orchid Cattleya Netrasiri Beauty x Varut $3.75Canadian! ~Niki~

Is the seller boergreen? If so they're very fine plants usually (I have had a few things from them and been very impressed), and I'd say you were just unlucky and got a plant with some kind of infection.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ May 14 2005,7:54)]There is usually only moss whenthe orchid potting mix has decayed.  Obviously don't do this if its flowering because you will cause loss of the flower.  A couple of my friends are commercial orchid growers and they agreed that if anything besides sphagnum is used when it starts absorbing water to change the medium
Once again I disagree, moss tends to grow on certain mixes, often when they are perfectly fine
You may however find it growing on bark mixes which are ok and dont need to be changed with fresh soil

Also, rockwool material(which is used by some orchid growers) is used as a water absorbent and it is also perfectly fine to use

I find I can use anything that does not absorb water. I use mostly Packing peanuts top-dressed with coconut chips. Unless the plant likes being wet then I use LFS (Or if its phaleonopsis I top dress with LFS). Or if humid I use LFS and a terrarium. I do use moss to attach orchids to plaques or fern-fiber but other then that I don't. I was speaking more of mixes such as orchid bark or coco-chips that are found at home-depot or other super centers or garden center that have decayed and so are water logged and moss is growing on and the entire thing is rotting the roots of the orchid because it is too wet.

Hey Starman,
What is rockwool material? I have never heard of that or seen it on the shelves for sale here?  

I use basic orchid bark and horticultural grade charcoal for my orchids.

rockwool is an artificial material which is used widely here, usually by more experienced growers
It absorbs water like spaghnum moss and it never breaks down(rots)
Its most popular use is in Phragmepedium mixes since they love moisture and dislike sitting in dry soil at any time, I bought a Phragmepedium Don Wimber which is growing in pure rockwool
However, it can be used in mixes for most orchids

Back