What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paphiopedilum

It's a Phal! Something called 'Zuma Camreal'  I knew that- grin chuckle laugh!

Say Craig, just trying to lend a hand. Aren't you glad I posted a photo of the wrong roots for you?  Who's your buddy?  Better get your help from herenorthere.

Here's a link to a page at the Antec (www..ladyslipper.com) website showing healthy Paph roots - http://ladyslipper.com/paphrts.htm.  I'd be horrified to find such things on other orchids.  I think you took care of the major threat by drilling holes in the bottom of that pot.  I'll do some research on that particular hybrid and try to get you some detailed information.

I will add something here too.
Keep the plants in too much shade rather than too much sun, Paphs are generally from darker areas and enjoy the same amount of light as Phals.

If the plant has plain green leaves it is probably derived from highland parents and likes it cooler than plants with mottled leaves, which are generally lowland. There are exceptions to this rule so this is only general.

Cheers, Troy.

Yeah Thanks Laura after I saw your roots and looked at mine I was feeling really bad and was having to think of something to tell Annie as to why I let 'her' plant die.  

Herenorthere - I will appreciate any information you can supply.  I do have a question about the media.  I have it planted in a mix of orchid bark, charcoal & perlite.  Everything I have read says the mix should be well draining but there should be water available to the roots.  When I water the plant in this mix the water seems to run straight through, and I dont understand how any water stays in the mix?

Right now it is a west facing window sill so it gets sun as it falls in the sky.  I could put it in a east windowsill so it would get sun as it comes up, or I could put it in the window that I use as a grow room so it would be more humid but the window faces north so it would not get any direct light just brightness.  Any ideas?

Craig

Craig,
For your mottled leaved Paphs, the humid bright condition will work. As for the rapid drainage, that's what you want. Better to water more frequently than less frequently and have an anaerobic condition set up around the roots. Better to err on the dry side. Paphs are infamous for having under developed root systems, usually brought on by too much water. Let them search out the water by developing large strong root systems. The sponge rock-perlite holds quite a bit of water, and will keep the potting mix you described fairly humid and moist. If the new leaves should develop accordion pleated then increase the water and humidity.
Our P. philipinensis's are in spike now. Might have to post some pics later this month!
Trent

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If the new leaves should develop accordion pleated then increase the water and humidity.

Thanks for the tip!

Back