What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this?

a40c9549.jpg

It is beautiful and i want one...

good question. looks like a dendrobium to me. if yah want a blue orchid the blue Cattleyas are good and fairly easy to find as are the blue Vandas and their relitives. blue orchid species are few and far between. do a search on ebay. ive purchased Cattleyas from Jeffs Flasks and have gotton some really nice plants. ive bloomed one of them but unfortunatly while my blue Cattleya from him is growing and spreading like a weed it hasnt bloomed.

Dendrobium 'Emma Type'(there are many emma types though, but if you bought it commercially it is just about impossible to say which emma type it is) I have one exactly like that, but its pink

I think it is a Dendrobium but I would like to see the plant as a whole to confirm that.

The color doesn't look entirely authentic.

i was wondering about that Bruce. especially since the vast majority of blue orchids i have seen arent that intencely blue. however if someone has one like that i would REALLY like to have one too.

The flower looks like a Den to me, but the leave that are behind it do not match. The long green leaf in front of it doesn't match either. I agree I have never seen a blue that intense on an orchid yet, but hey thats not to say it can't happen. In the last AOS mag there was the picture of the blackest orchid I have ever seen. Of course its not black because of the pigments in it, but to the eyes it looks black. I would say be careful from ordering off of ebay. Sometimes if you look at nurseries you can find better deals than Fleabay. Also you have a better chance of getting a better plant than those on fleabay. I have gotten some ok plants off there, but could have gotten bigger and better for cheaper if I had bought from a nursery. Also you can get species or hybred that are not mass produced too. No offence to the Lowes and HD orchids I have a bunch myself, but you can get better plants from orchid nurseries and they are not the mass produced kinds. You may have to grow them a little to flower, but they are IMO better plants. Your also not going to find a Neofinetia at Lowes or HD. I did see a maxilaria tenufolia at lowes last time I was there, and that surprised me. Although it was only labled maxilaria, and looked like tenufolia. It may have been a hybred. Also unless you get to the plants early at the chain stores the tags may be mis placed or switch from a spiteful kid or emplyee. I see mislables all the time, but you can also get those from nurseries, but I think far less than at a chain store. Ok I think I have rambled enough. To much caffene. I have to make it till 7 AM. Work nights. Have fun everyone!!

Back