What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown orchid

Hi,

I've had this orchid for three years now. I was given the remaining of a collection by a nice lady that has now passed away, except she did not know what they were either. The plants at the time were far beyond neglect and I have managed to bring most of them back. This is the first time it has flowered, however it would be good to put a name with the plant.

Here is a photo:
unknown_orchid_1.jpg

hope someone can help,
C

Just your normal average supermarket/ garden centre Cymbidium hybrid. Impossible to put an exact name to it. It's flowering incredibly early though- around August is the norm.

G'day sean,

That's what I thought. I have a few more sending up flower stalks. What do you suggest the reason is for it flowering early? It's not going to die on me. hehe. I am finding that most of my orchids are flowering around this time. I will have to post them when they open as I don't know what any of them are.

cheers,
C

Cymbidiums flower at any time of the year really..........if your care is really up to scratch they will flower 6 times a year, but this is quite rare, but it is possible for them to do it
This is because modern Cymbidium hybrids come from parents who flower at all different seasons to each other
However, species flower in certain seasons only

Well I can tell you now that you will not get a typical Cymbidium hybrid to flower 6 times in a single year. Some hybrids will flower at various times of the year but these crappy mass produced plants that are sold in supermarkets almost invariably flower after a cool winter down here.

The reason your plant has flowered Christian is because of the extraordinarily warm autumn we have had. Plants of all genera are doing strange things at the moment.

In regards to other genera, I find that late autumn is one of the prime times for orchid flowering. For my speciality- Laelia and Encyclia species, this is the best time of the year.

Back