What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stanhopea spike

My two hybrid Stanhopeas are each sending out two bloom spikes. Last year only one bloomed and it was the highlight of the year for me. Can't wait to see what the other one looks like. I love these plants. They grow easily outdoors here in so. cal. and look stunning. Anything that fools an insect into copulating with it for pollination is every bit as interesting as plants that eat them. I'll keep you posted.

very cool. they are definatly my favorite orchid genus even though i have yet to flower one. cant wait for pics

Great!  I like Gongoras, which stay a little smaller.  They still grow too large for my space, but take longer to do it.  Are your Stans spiking out the bottom of their baskets?  It's so cool how they do that.

They are spiking out the side. They are not really that large. I have them in a 6" basket with maybe 10 pseudobulbs.

As promised, not as spectacular as last year but every bit as scented.
398S_tri_x_inter.JPG

very cool. definatly my favorite genus

herenorthere My gongora tricolor gorws quite fast. I have split it up last year and this year its filling the 8 inch basket again. Lovely flowers. I will be glad when my Stan get big enough to bloom.

Nice plant, srduggins.  I think Stanhopeas are one of the most fantastic orchids.  Several times I have observed the bud as they opened - very spectacular, as they open so quickly.

Here is a spike of S. wardii that opened a couple of days ago.  I apoligize for the quality of the photo...had to shoot at high iso and my little point-and-shoot images have lots of noise.

9f7dd77f.jpg

Good growing,
KPG

Very nice Stan. and the predator doesn't look too shabby either. I really think more people should grow these. They are one of the easiest orchids I grow, probably since I already have the night time temperature differential they are looking for, and that would make them easier, (and cheaper), to obtain.

Back