What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, I ordered a bunch of CPs from petflytrap a month ago. Due to the move, I still haven't got my plants.

So, I've been monitoring every Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, and random nurseries. FInally, today, the lady at Lowes tells me she just got in 4 pitcher plants. I go and check them out, and they are in good condition. Potted in 5in pots and fairly large. I remove the insert inside the pots and see the roots are just beginning to grow. Nothing near root lock, but enough to warrant a replanting. So, I also pick up some rocks, new pots, sand, moss, etc.

The entire time, the lady is telling me all about these CPs. She's a freakin expert. And all her info meshed with the info on here. She told me her favorite was her Cobra Lily bog. She then told me to come back in a week and she'd give me this huge watering container when they were finished with it. She said it would make a perfect terrarium.

So, I make a new friend and come home with my bounty. 3 pitcher plants @ $8 each. I immediately repotted them in 6in pots. They were in 100% potting soil, so I replanted them with 1 part moss, 1 part sand, and 1 part miracle grow soil. I also lined the bottom of the pots with rocks and placed rocks in the pot trays to keep the soil out of standing water. They're outside on my porch now fully watered and I put a layer of wet moss on top of the soil. The Lowes lady told me it wasn't a good idea because "most moss has insect eggs in it, including white flies."

Falling back on my old cigar tricks, I told her I'd microwave the moss for 30 seconds to kill any eggs. She looked at me like I just had a $1 million idea. Cigars often carry tobacco beetle eggs. If you're not careful, the eggs will hatch and these beetles will devour your hobby and investment. A trick of the trade we've developed is to either freeze(not a good idea for moss) or microwave the cigars to kill any eggs or larva. I tossed my moss into a large bowl and into the microwave for 30 seconds. Came out nice and toasty, should be enough to nuke any buggers.

Here's the pics of my 3 newest plants. $8 each seemed like a bargain. Please excuse my crappy dig-cam. Now, time to wait for my petflytrap order to ship...

IM000516.jpg

IM000517.jpg

You definately want to take out any miracle grow in their, that will be a sure death to them, otherwise they look nice, good idea about the moss, and you should see if you can see her bogs

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They were in 100% potting soil, so I replanted them with 1 part moss, 1 part sand, and 1 part miracle grow soil.

By "miracle grow soil" do you mean theit peat- If that soil has any sort of miracle grown or other fertilizers in it, then you don't want to use it. The plants are looking very nice, though!

The soils was miracle grow brand and I think it did have fert in it. The soil it came in had fert in it. I assumed if they grew this big in the soil, then they'd be ok. And the tag said to fert it with 20-20-20.

Oh man, this is going to stink ripping these out and repotting them again. Since I'm being told to repot them or doom them to certain death, should I just go with 100% moss or a peat moss mixture 1:1. Both seem to be receiving rave reviews on here.

OK, I just finished transplanting them into their new soil. I used a 1:1 of peat to perlite.

Wow, that's some loose stuff. I hope the roots take hold as right now I can easily lift the plants out of the soil.

I removed them from the pots and broke off the excess soil. I very carefully removed much of the soil from the root system. Then, I lined the bottom of the pot with rocks. A layer of long moss came next to help keep the soil in the pot. Then, the 1:1 mixture and replant. Lastly, the layer of soaked long moss.

After watering, the soil seemed to toughen up a bit, but I'm still a little worried about the loose soil. But I guess you guys are the experts. Here's hoping for non-dead plants in the morning.

Don't worry about the loose soil. A lot of CPs dig the 'looseness' for drainage. I have a bunch of pitcher plants that were potted in a very heavy sand/peat/pumice mix and barely grew any new pitchers. I repotted to peat/perlite and BLAM! Tons O pitchers... same with some of my VFTs.

Yup, scupbucket definitly has it right. Too heavy is a bad thing. Furthermore, if it's so light that it can't support the plant or something, then it'll compress when you water it (more over time.) I think you did the right thing transplanting them, you'll be a great parent to these plants.
laugh.gif

I bought the same species from a home depot last year and it is thriving! Just remember that they should receive a dormancy period to remain healthy the following year.

I agree completely with the others that loose soil is a wonderful thing--not only for CPs, but for nearly all plants. A helpful thing to remember is that plant roots grow AROUND soil particles, not into them, and thus need ample room. I use a 1:2 mix of peat:perlite for all my houseplants and cacti and they love it. I use various mixtures of LFS, perlite, peat moss and/or orchid bark for my CPs, depending on the species. I tend to stay away from sand for my CP mixes unless it is the larger, coarser variety as it is all too easy to create an overly dense mix with it.

As for your soil components:

1. Sand: The sand you use for CPs or cacti should be coarse silica (pool) sand. Other types (e.g., very fine, beach or play sand) can contain salts/minerals or be too dense, consequently leading to root death.

2. Moss: You didn't say whether it was sphagum moss. The only type of moss you can use reliably for CPs is sphagnum moss. This should be clearly labeled on the container. Also, I would recommend using sphagnum peat moss and perlite without added fertilizer. I think you did your plants a favor by replanting them.

Best of luck with your plants.

Yes, it is sphagum moss. I didn't want to try and spell it and risk looking like an idiot. The sand was also bought in the Lowes garden section specifically for gardening. However, after using the 1:1 peat-perlite, I ended up not using any sand.

"Also, I would recommend using sphagnum peat moss and perlite without added fertilizer."
The only ones I could find was Miracle Grow. They have plant food, but not fertilizer in it. It was the best I could find. Specifically, I'm using:
1 part Miracle Grow sphagnum peat moss
1 part Miracle Grow perlite
handfuls of gardening rocks(in a sack as the nursery)
Bag of long strand sphagnum moss.
distilled water

And I'm already starting to plan the dormancy.

BTW, welcome to the forums! Why don't ya tell the Lowes CP expert about the discussion forum as well!

eesh.

That Miracle Gro stuff is bad news. It nearly killed a bog I made. CPs really need NO fertilizer/plant food. I'd water the heck out of it, and let it drain to get rid of as much of the Miracle Gro as possible. I'm talking gallons.

Capslock

I know caps, but it was the ONLY peat I could find around here.

Anyway, how do you guys keep up with the distilled water requirement? Did you all buy distillers? I mean to fill 3 6in pots to the point of draining takes just about 1/3 of a gallon.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

P.S. Caps, nice to meet another FSM follower.

Some use RO/distilled water and some use plain old rainwater: I use the former. If you need large quantities of pure water and don't have free access to a laboratory or can't afford a RO system, I suggest using rainwater.

Lastly, if you are one of the VERY FEW lucky individuals who's tap water has a TDS of < 60ppm, you may try this. You'll have to test the water yourself using a TDS meter ($50-150) or send a sample of your tap water to the local water management organization for free or low-cost testing. BUT, AS A RULE, IT'S BEST TO AVOID TAP WATER UNLESS YOU'RE SURE OF IT'S PURITY. You can use tap water in emergencies (plants wilting and you ran out of the good stuff) without harming your plants. Typically, only chronic use of tap water will damage them.

Hmm, with a 3rd floor balcony facing south, catching rainwater can be difficult. I bet if I gave my little brother a plant, he'd be willing to collect rain for me and bottle it.

You can get R/O filters for about $100 bucks that will give you more than enough water. Over time it makes sense, but it's a bit of an up-front cost. As my collection increased in size (drastically LOL!), it became necessary.

Before that, my best option was going to the grocery store where they had a water dispensing machine out front that was R/O filtered for 35 cents a gallon.

Capslock

I would sugdest that you get an ro unit from ebay for about $75 (expensive shipping though). I am about to send in the money for mine, and will thuroughly enjoy drinking the water and using it for my plants
biggrin.gif
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZaquasafesystemsQQhtZ-1

Oh, and you can just use strait sphagnum moss. I've never had any problems with that, and I use it for everything.

Sphagnum peat moss should have 0% food/fertilizer in it at all. If you have to travel to find standard peat, then do it. I have always grown in straight peat as it is quick, fun, and easier to deal with. How do I keep it from compacting?? Undrained containers filled to the top with RO water. The peat moss virtually floats on top of the water molecules and offers the rhizome tons of support, and it stays VERY wet. My plants are not complaining. Get rid of ANY peat that offers plant food or fertilizer in the mix. Your plants may die yet in this MG Peat with PLANT FOOD. No go, amigo! Hope they live.

Oh if you are buying your supplies from Lowe's they keep the high quality sphagnum peat without fertilizer outside in huge bales for a lot cheaper than the miracle grow junk. Also I'd pitch the perlite as I think it is a highly overrated substance. Too messy for my taste and there are other substitutes that work just as well.

Yup, and the local Lowes to me also carries small packages of "Mosser Lee" LFS that have no fertilizer.

As for water, I usually go to the grocery store and they have an RO unit. You can refill your own containers for 50 cents a gallon or less.

I used to buy distilled water at the supermarket, but stopped when the cost hit 0.75-$1.00/gallon in my area. I need ~5gal/week so I would be spending $260/year on water.

But if you have only a couple of plants, store-bought water is a good option. A gallon would probably last you a couple of weeks.

Back