What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New purpurea pitchers in late summer?

Hello all,

I have a new, very young purpurea (less than 3" across) that was producing new pitchers in July. In the past few weeks, however, I haven't seen a single new pitcher emerge. Some of the older pitchers are slowly turning brown, which I understand is normal. Should the plant still be producing new pitchers at this point in the growing season or is something wrong?

Thanks for any advice you guys can provide.

P.S. I have several flytraps and a cape sundew growing right next to the purpurea (sharing the same watering tray) and they are doing very well, producing new traps and tentacles, so I assume the growing conditions are decent. We had some relatively cold Bay Area weather for a couple of weeks recently (low 60's high), so perhaps it is entering dormancy?

If it produces new pitchers now, it must be able to do so before the onset of full dormancy. Around here, that is late October to early November. (North Bay)

Growth will be slowing down now. It's mostly hours of daylight that regulates the plant, so knows dormancy is approaching. It might produce a couple more pitchers, or it might not do until next year. Nothing to worry about though.

Alvin's right. It knows when to stop.

Back