What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newly sprouted ceph seed.

Your little Ceph is really coming along! I'd love to try growing some Cephs from seed but it seems that the seed is hard to come by.

The seeds had been stored in a fridge so I did not cold stratify them. Including the ones I gave away I'd say some 200 were planted.....one grew........

[b said:
Quote[/b] (curlingguy @ Feb. 16 2006,11:18)]200 were planted.....one grew........
oooouch!
If it was like this in the wild cephs would have been extinct a long time ago...
I know they are hard to grow from seed but 0.5% germination?
Maybe keeping them in the fridge damaged them or perhaps some smoke should be used?

Good Job!!!
To be fair, ONE of my seeds sprouted right off the hop and died within 48 hours, so that puts it at 1%
smile.gif

Man, that little fellow is CUTE- maybe in 5 years it will be big enough to trade a cutting or something

[b said:
Quote[/b] (yoss @ Feb. 17 2006,3:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (curlingguy @ Feb. 16 2006,11:18)]200 were planted.....one grew........
oooouch!
If it was like this in the wild cephs would have been extinct a long time ago...
I know they are hard to grow from seed but 0.5% germination?
Maybe keeping them in the fridge damaged them or perhaps some smoke should be used?
Man, that's rough! Makes me weary about starting Ceph seed
smile_l_32.gif

Here is the latest pic.  Taken March 11th.  The original pitcher has turned brown.  Newer pitcher (2nd to grow) still looking okay.  Plant seems to have been in a bit of trouble with about half turning brown but seems to be recuperating slowly.  Very small bump at centre bottom which I assume is a new growth point about to come up.  I have moved it to a larger container for better drainage. It had turned brown before I moved it.
Ceph%20seed1%2011MAR06.jpg

hi! saw your frame by frame develpment of the ceph seedling growth and plan to use it as comparison to some seeds i planted. problem is you stopped posting pics. does this mean -gulp- that little ceph didn't make it? hope not and it's 'cause your camera broke down. so far three seedlings have sprouted (germinated about a week ago) from a batch of seed i got from the icps. cold stratifiied them for 8 weeks and planted them on june 26th in a 5 inch wide, 4 inch tall pot with a roughly 50-50 mix of silica sand and very finely chopped long fibered sphagnum. i added a small layer of sand above the mix to plant the seeds on. i'm using a 1 inch tall dish filled with rain water to sit the pot in and don't add any water until it evaporates. i also mist all my plants couple of times a day and the ceph pot gets it share of the rain water mist just like the rest, yet the soil does not look soggy at all. sounds about right, yes? no? if i can get hold of a digital camera i'll post some photos.

everybody: comments are welcome.

thanks!

3 Seedlings!!! You're doing something right. I'll let curlingguy fill you in on the sad details concerning the baby ceph...

Sounds good so far

Zac

got home last night from out of town and found out now there are four! they must have been very fresh seeds when i got them from the icps. i can now see the fuzzy white stuff in the middle of the tallest seedling (there, with that scientific description i gave myself away and now you know i'm a biologist....not! ha ha). really have to get myself a digital camera.

don't mean to brag, but now they're five seedlings... just hope they don't die. ha ha ha, else everybody's going to have a ball. tried to post a picture but must be technologically challenged 'cause i couldn't.

carlos

Just a note- I don't know what happened, but the ceph in the pictures is now pining for the fjords, tho it has been replaced by some more mature plants

Sounds like you're having pretty good success with your attempt, Carlos, hope you can get the technology figured out to post a pic of the fuzzy little guys
biggrin.gif

"hope you can get the technology figured" yeah, me too. or maybe there´s a philantropic soul out there that could send me step by step instructions on how to post pictures for dummies. or even better, send a blank post with some "insert your picture here"'s that would definetely make all our lives better.
smile_m_32.gif
btw the family's grown to six seedlings now.

ha! got it. thing was that when previewed, the picture is not shown in the post, just the message so i thought it wouldn't load. here's a blow-up of the first seedling to sprout. shame the size of the pictures must be kept small 'cause when zoomed-in in its original size, you can actually see the fuzz.
smilie4.gif

A few years ago I aquired some seed of this fascinating species, sowed it immediately on the surface of sand/peat mix, they promptly germinated and began growing. Though due to my neglect they haven't made much progress, 8 of the original 11 seedlings are still coming along.

Cephalotus_follicularis_seedlings.jpg

Sorry for the lack of update but yes, the seed grown ceph I had died...last picture shows it in trouble....just got browner and browner till all dead......but.......... I bought two Cephs via Cooks so now have them.....still miss the littlest one though .......oh the life of a carnivorous plant grower....grow some, kill some.

an update for all of you wondering what happened to my ceph seedlings. i can proudly tell you the family's grown to 10 now! on some, a few leaves turned yellow and i was expecting the worst, yet the pitchers kept growing and are doing fine with yellow leaves and all. i'll get hold again of a digital camera and post a few pictures in the near future.

Back