What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few wild s. purp pics

happened to get out to a bog near Fond Du Lac, WI yesterday and snapped a few pics:

splake0.jpg

kind of an overview of the area

splake1.jpg

splake2.jpg

splake3.jpg

a nice red-colored variant. i don't think this one got any more sun than others. the whole area was rather grown over with shrubs and small black spruce.

splake4.jpg

this one was just a meter or so from the red one. much less red coloration.

splake5.jpg

photographic evidence that these plants eat other plants too
smile.gif

I think that last photo shows a plant waiting for turkey & stuffing to fall in.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Oct. 22 2005,8:29)]I think that last photo shows a plant waiting for turkey & stuffing to fall in.
LOL!
Great pics of sphagnum, too-I like the red sphagnum.

Cheers,

Joe

Nice pictures!Thanks for sharing!

Jerry

Nice photos. I have relatives WI. Looks like its time to pay them a visit.

Brian

great pictures! i've been in and out of green bay for the past two weeks. how far is fond du lac from there? maybe i can get some time in the area an go cp'ing!

tech...

Wow those are awsome pics, love the third one and its colors.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (technoracer @ Oct. 23 2005,8:49)]great pictures!  i've been in and out of green bay for the past two weeks.  how far is fond du lac from there?  maybe i can get some time in the area an go cp'ing!

tech...
Fond Du Lac is about an hour's drive from Green Bay. I think you could find some much closer though. There's an awesome place called Ridges Sanctuary up on the Door Co. Peninsula. Besides pitcher plants and sundews there, you can find around 30 species of orhcids growing wild in the sanctuary.

I've tried to grow S. purpurea before, but somehow, I accidentally killed them. Your pictures look really nice. I wish my plants had turned into actual purple.

Back