What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Florida

I am going to Florida(grrrrrr) the first week in December for my dad's 90th birthday, which is also Mom & Dad's 50th wedding anniversary.  

They live in the Brooksville area.  Are there any CP sites around there?  There is lots of real promising looking land there, and now that the freaking spiders are dead, perhaps I can go traipsing around it. Don't worry...I just want to look and take pictures, which I would share.  I am a lot of things, and a plant poacher is not one of them. Are there any nurseries in the area that sell CP's?

Thanks for your help, and feel free to PM me.  Una Cerveza, por favor! Mas frias! Aprilh

they should all be dormant by then if there are any there.

True, but I will also be going back there in early march. I'd be happy to see some phylodia, or dead brown pitchers, to tell you the truth. I've never seen a pitcher plant in the wild.

Last summer I saw my first aquilegia canadensis in the wild...and I was thrilled!

I would go hiking in the green swamp in the Withlachochee wildlife management area. It is in several tracts near there, but I'd be careful, I think that it may be hunting season then. Also congratulations on the upcoming trip to paradise, we friendly folk in the sunshine state welcome you. If you need more precise directions let me know.

Oh cool!  So, you're saying I should wear bright orange and pray? We drive through Withlacoochee on the way to Webster's Flea Market!  I've always wanted to go back in there (after the spiders are dead, of course).

I always look forward to some things about Florida, the friendlieness of the people being one.

Enjoy your trip to Florida April. And I'm with you on the spider thing!!! Double bleccchhh and grrrr!

never seen a Sarracenia in the wild? there nothing like seeing a field of S. flava or S. oreophila with little Drosera and Utricularia growing in the mix
smile.gif

Don't feed the alligators, and beware of Flytrapgurl!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Alligators and Flytrapgurl don't scare me....golden silk spiders do! LOL!

Beware of the chiggers. Spiders are whimps compared to the misery a chigger bite can produce.

We didn't get below freezing here last year, and its still very hot - I don't know if the spiders will be dead by December.

April,
the only Sarrs growing that far south is S. minor, and their distribution on the west side of the state is patchy. They are much more common on the eastern seaboard.
There's some pretty countryside just south of Brooksville. Doesn't look like typical Florida. Nice rolling hills and lots of oak.
Gotta back-up statement by JLAP. You ain't seen nuthin' till you've seen a field of flavas or leucos. Your heart will skip a beat...several times!

Back