What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H. ionasii

Here's a heliamphora pic I took yesterday. H. ionasii. This heliamphora was the fastest to adjust after I bought it and hasn't slowed down a bit. I need to repot, in fact, at which time I'll break it up. Anyone else growing this one? It seems to be an easy heliamphora in my limited experience.

H_ionsaii2.sized.jpg

Capslock

Very nice Heli's!

Awesome plants!

I have only been growing H. ionasii for only a few months, but it does continue to put out pitchers fast, even if they are only the immature ones. I have read that this is a more difficult one to grow.

smile_k_ani_32.gif
WOW!!!! What beautiful color on this plant.. Just stunning... That is a awsome pic you took Capslock...

Wow! Those're beauties! Really make me want to try growing some myself... Oh, btw, I should get to take those pics I said I'd take, soon!

Thanks everyone! Not only does San Francisco have good highland nepenthes weather, but it works for heliamphora too. I have these in a tank, but there is no lid on it. I'm growing some H. heterodoxa x minor open air with the nepenthes and they're happy.

Kirk,
I'd guess I've had the plant for about eight months. It was about half this size when I got it from Tony (obviously.) He gets the bulk of the credit here.

Capslock

I have one of these for about 1 yr.  When I first got it, I placed it in one of my terraria and it did well.  Recently, I transfered it to a grow rack because it was getting too tall for the terrarium.  It's covered with a transparent plastic bag with holes punched into it (which I'll take off after about 1 mo).  Seems to be adjusting well.

So, the plant has been easier for me to grow than what I thought.  Too bad I can't say the same for those darned cephalotus!

Caps, what kind of humidity to you get on an average day? As you know, I'm real close to the coast, too... Wanna see if I could grow some of these guys!

Hey,
Other than the past few days where we've had a real dry spell, it's usually about 60% day and 80+% night, with quite a few 90+% periods, especially in summer. Fall and winter are the dryest, and it hits 50% from time to time. Right now it's extremely dry as we have easterly winds, and it's only 42% humidity. I ran an ultrasonic humidifier all day in the grow room, and will until the ocean breeze comes back.

I grow most of the heliamphora in an aquarium tank with no lid. This boosts humidity a bit. You could get more humid with a lid and water in the tank (don't sit the heliamphora in water).

It's also important that they stay relatively cool, so any sort of basement or garage would be good here near the west coast. I usually get down to the upper fifties overnight in the grow room.

Capslock

smile.gif
Hey Capslock, where can i get me one of these plants??

Check with Tony Paroubek here on the forums. Here's his website:
Exotic Plants Plus

It appears he has small versions available.

Capslock

smile.gif
Thank you Capslock, although i cant afford one right now
smile_h_32.gif
its good to know where to go..

Caps, I HAD an ionasii....Which was, indeed, one of the best gowing Heli's I've had the pleasure of growing. Unfortunately, it went the way of the dodo this summer. Just TOO hot.

May have to get me another one for x-mas, though. Learned my lesson, I did. No more going outside in the summer for Heliamphora. Just too doggon hot.

This makes me want to try growing a Heliamphora! Although I don't know if my conditions would be good for one.

They're relatively expensive, right?

Back