What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cobra lily

dumb question i assumes its yes , but cobra lily's need dormancy right? and is it same period as pitchers and vfts?

Yes... yes.... and yes!
smile.gif

My Cobra Lily doesn't need a dormancy because it's the coolest and most kick-butt Cobra Lily on the block...

...and I just recently bought it from Home Depot so it can skip dormancy this year
smile_n_32.gif

But the first part is true too, just in case anyone's wondering
cool.gif

When I bought one from Lowes (plastic cube) two Novembers ago, and posted about it, Bugweed sent me a PM and implored me to put into dormancy.

Hmmmmm, this intrigues me. I wonder what to do now...

I'd go with the "42 years growing!"
smile.gif

Hahaha, I probably should huh? Is it too late to put the little guy into dormancy?

I'm doing the same thing you're doing LLeopardGGecko. I got my cobra lily from Home Depot. It was outside for about half the summer and did do some growing. I decided to take it in and put it in my grow chamber when the temps were hitting lows of 50's (late Sept, october?). It's growing good right now.

While you are supposed to put these plants into dormancy, the ICPS doesn't think it is bad to skip the first year dormancy to help it catch up on growing. So that's what I'm going to do. It would be suicide and shock to throw it outside right now with the rest of them. If you want to put your Cobra lily outside now, you'd have to adapt it to the temps gradually (if you live somewhere cold like I do). So I don't think it would do any harm to leave it inside this winter, but next winter I would definately let it go into dormancy.

yeah i got mine early spring from lowes, and it grew quite well over summer and was happy with the progress so im gonna put it in dormancy no point in skipping first year so thanks for the help guys

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Nov. 17 2005,5:07)]While you are supposed to put these plants into dormancy, the ICPS doesn't think it is bad to skip the first year dormancy to help it catch up on growing.  .
It is very unlikely that the plants sold in any store are going to be in their first growing year. Cobra lilys are very slow to get going and would not be big enough to consider selling as first year seedlings. Your plants although in your first year of growing them are likely to be at the very least, three or four years old, so a dormancy is necessary to keep them healthy and happy. I would slowly get them used to lower temperatures and give them the rest they need.

Back