What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tiny cephalotus

I have two 3 year old cephs I recently bought. Each plant is roughly the size of a quarter with 3 to 4 pitcher about 0.5 cm to 1 cm long each. Both plants each have a pitcher dying off. I was wondering if a 3 year old ceph goes thru many small pitchers while it matures or if the pitchers continue to grow until they reach full size.

Both plants are really doing nothing in the way of growth the entire month I've had them. And their foliage, both pitchers and noncarnivorous leaves, seem a bit sparse making me wonder if their alright. Does any of this seem normal?

Chris

Well, I'm no Ceph expert, but from my limited experience with these plants I do know that they're VERY slow growers. I'm sure your plants are ok. They just need to get used to your conditions, but even after that, they are still notorious for taking their sweet time.

Cephalotus are just slow growers like Leop Gecko said. What are you conditions?

They both grow in my terrarium with a high of 80F during the day and low of 69F at night. Humidity is on average 65%. From what I've recently gathered, most cephalotus plants produce their pitchers once a year (or so I was told).

Chris

I don't think it's a once a year thing. It's more like a pitcher-a-month type of thing.

Also, since Cephs can be grown like tropical CPs, they can be grown all year round in a terrarium.

I think though, that you can also give 'em a winter resting period, which is cooler, and they slow down (or stop) growth.

Yeah, you're right Drosera36. I don't know if it's required though.

It's not. I think it's only if you wanna take a brake from raising your plants.
smile_n_32.gif

Exactly, I grow mine with about 80F in the day and 50 ish at night, so pretty much like a Highland Nepenthes. I think you may be a bit on the warm side.

my cephs are just in a terrium with some vfts and sundew...under some flouresants and they get around...2 or 3 new pitchers a month. i suppose they are room tempature..maybe lil higher bc of the lights.

thanks

Brad

Could it be that my lights aren't on long enough. They stay on for about 12 hours. It's a 10 gallon tank with 80 watts worth of cool white flourescent lights. The cephs are about 10 inches from the lights. Could any of this be a factor?

Chris

i have 160 watt of fluoresents  above 100 gal worth of terriums with the lights around 20 in. from most of the plants and my cephs are good. my light are on around 15-16 hours a day tho

thanks

Brad

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Could it be that my lights aren't on long enough. They stay on for about 12 hours. It's a 10 gallon tank with 80 watts worth of cool white flourescent lights. The cephs are about 10 inches from the lights. Could any of this be a factor?

80 watts is more than enough light for most CPs, including Cephs. Like you said, maybe it's that you need to keep your lights on longer each day. I keep mine on 16 hours a day and I get good growth.

Back