What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus seeds damping off

Okay, here's the scoop. I have been trying to sow some ceph seeds but the seeds keep damping off due to mold. What is the best medium to sow ceph seeds on? I really want them to germinate but at this rate I will not have any seeds left to germinate. Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Ravn

I got the seeds growing in plastic pots that are in a small terrarium with a 1/2" of water on the bottom and a fluorescent light that is about 4" above them. The top of the terrarium is open so that the humidity does not get too high. They are planted on top of a peat/sand 1:3 mixture. There seems to be green growth on top of the medium and it seems like fungus or mold is growing on the medium and on the seeds too? How do I stop this?

Cheers,
Ravn

It is very difficult to control fungal infections once they've taken hold--prevention is the key. You may try temporarily moving the pot into a less humid place, spray the surface with a fungicide (e.g., Captan), let the medium dry out just a bit, and pray.

As for the green stuff, it is likely algae which can cause problems depending on the species and amount.

In terms of prevention: If the water at the bottom of the terrarium is stagnant, this can promote the growth of water molds/fungi. Sometimes this presents as a "film" or thin layer covering the surface of the water. In any case, in the future you may want to remove most of the water from the terrarium and add just enough to keep the medium constantly moist. You may also wish to apply a quick spray of fungicide (e.g., Captan) to the surface of the medium before dropping the seed, though I've never had to do this myself.

Your method of germinating seed is similar to my own, except i use a plastic tray instead of a terrarium, add just enough water to keep the medium moist, and cover the pots with transparent plastic wrap.

Hope this helps.

Hmmm, I got some Benomyl, so I will try that. Thanks.

They are growing in a terrarium so are sitting in stagnant air. Having the lid off is obviously not having much of an effect. You need to grow them on a windowsill for a few months in the fresh air.

The problem with growing them on the windowsill here is that I don't have any windowsills that are deep enough to handle a pot on them. Also it is winter here now and the windows are pretty cold so it would not be warm enough for them there now. I will get them out of the terrarium then and put them in a tray that is not quite as tall as them and that way they will get more air movement. I really would love to see my seeds germinate. I guess I will also need to see if I can buy a couple of mature plants in the spring. I did not buy any new plants this last year other than some new lithops and a new orchid. So I that means that next spring I will have the go ahead from the wife to buy a couple of cephs and some Neps as well. Last year I think I spent about $600 on seeds and plants so that means that I saved $600 this year and can spend it next year.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I really would love to see my seeds germinate.

One more thing....just remember to give them time. While some of the seed I've sown have germinated in a couple of weeks, others have taken 4 months! And there are some growers here that have waited a year or more for germination. So if you have the space, you might as well keep the pots....one day you may be surprised by a few seedlings.

I won't give up on them too easily. I have a few banana plants that took abotu 17 months to germinate. So I am well trained in being patient with my plants. Now if I could only be that pateint with people I would be doing really good.

PLEASE don't use Captan unless you want your DNA to be in a triple helix instead of the normal double helix. Captan is dangerous stuff. I highly DON'T recommend it. Yes, it's effective. Be sure and use a gas mask and a tyvek hazmat suit if you use it, and I'm serious. Burn the suit and the gas mask afterwards. You can foil damp off by several methods, the easiest being: Air movement ...set up a fan near your seed sowing/seedlings. Just doing that will take care of most of your damping off problems. Aprilh

Back