What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus repotting

I've had this Ceph for around 5 or 6 months now. I got it from Black Jungle and it was really young when I received it (still is, actually). It has been pitchering like mad, although none of the pitchers are open yet. I'm guessing this is related to its youth, but who knows. What I want to know is if I should replant this little guy soon. The newest and biggest pitchers are now starting to hit the sides of the pot, although many of the new pitchers are also piling on top of the old mound, which looks pretty cool. I've heard that Cephs hate to have their roots disturbed, so should I just leave it in its pot for now?

Some pictures of my young Ceph:

Ceph-2.jpg

Ceph-1.jpg

That's pretty weird lookin'. I noticed that the tops of the pitchers are clear. Is that characteristic for all cephalotus?

you know, i've never had any problems at all repotting cephs. i think their reputation for being hard to grow and picky is undeserved. to be honest, i think growing cephalotus is easy, but i can't keep a VFT alive to save my life!

Beutiful plant. Cephs are definately awesome plants. some day soon i'll get my own. Not sure about repotting though.

woooooow you have to repot a ceph so it only takes up 1/4th of the pot!!!!!!

that is if you want to encourage plantlet growth.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It has been pitchering like mad, although none of the pitchers are open yet.

Look a little closer, it appears that they're all open. When they're small, the lids don't really tilt up like an adult pitcher. If you want to check, take a toothpick and pry the lid up a little.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Look a little closer, it appears that they're all open. When they're small, the lids don't really tilt up like an adult pitcher. If you want to check, take a toothpick and pry the lid up a little.

Now that you mention it, they are open! I guess I was just expecting them to open completely and tilt up, like you said.

smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
WOW! Now thats awsome, i love how theres sooooooooooooooooooooooo many pitchers and how there all piled on top like that.. Very cool plant and awsome pics!!!
smile_m_32.gif
smile.gif

Tracey is still hoping Santa has a ceph in his bag for me..
smile_n_32.gif

Haha, sorry I can't really help you with your "problem" but I just have to say that that looks so friggen cool!

Thanks for the kind words about my plants everyone!

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to keep these baby Cephs in their pot for now and let them grow some more. I'll give them several more months, maybe somewhere around 6, so that they can mature more before I go changing their pot on them.

What's great is that some bigger pitchers are finally starting to get put out. You can't see them well in this picture, but up until now most of the pitchers have been very small like the ones you see there. There's hope for these Cephs just yet!

Mitch,
Is that ceph from Sarracenia Northwest? I just ordered one plus a few other plants for my terrarium.With most of my plants in dormancy I need something to get me thru the winter:;):

MWilson: Nope. That one I got from Black Jungle a while back. The one I got from Sarracenia Northwest is much larger and a picture of it can be found here

I got the "Medium" variety, the one their sold out of now. I'm assuming you picked up a "Small"?

Oh, and I know that feeling of needing to get through the winter. It's partly the reason I have so many terrariums!

Thanks Mitch.I know I won't be disappointed in the ceph from Sarracenia Northwest.
Mark W.

No problem man. You definitely won't be dissapointed. Sarracenia Northwest always ships great quality plants.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking: What other plants did you order along with your new Ceph?

It looks like it will be happy where it is for the time being. There is still room for expansion. Those dead yellow leaves can be pulled off the plant.

Mitch,

I ordered the ceph,their starter kit of neps and their butterwort hybrid.I'm kind of easing myself back into terrarium plants.Right now I only have a U.livida, sandersonii regular and blue and a couple spatulata in a 20long.

I have 10 vivariums with different species of dartfrogs in them and want to scale back and go with more CP's eventually.
Mark W.

Can you tell us the temps, photoperiods and RH of you setup LG ? My ceph is really slow in growing. The basement is now around 60 and the daylength is 10 hrs. but even this summer I didn't see growth like you've got ! are you feeding it at all ?

My temps are usually in the 80s and 90s (much higher in the summer months - sometimes into the 100s), my photoperiod is 16 hours, and I'm not feeding it at all. Almost seems like my Ceph should be dead :p Thanks for the kind words!

Back