What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you make a S. purpurea flower?!?!

I have a S. purpurea (not sure if it's ssp. venosa or ssp. purpurea) and I have been growing it outside. This is its 2nd winter with us. I originally got it from Lowes, and I quickly repotted it. It has been growing and pitchering nicely. Though, how old does it need to be to flower? And are there tricks to make it flower? (By the way, it catches lots of bugs, so I'm sure it has enough energy to make a flower.

Many thanks,
-Ben

I think I had mine around eight years before it flowered for the first time. I bought it as a very small juvenile plant. There is no secret to getting them to flower. Just like all sarras they will do it when they are ready. So long as they get a good dormancy and are mature they have as much chance of flowering as any other sarra.

One way to tell which you have is to feel the outside of the pitcher. If it is hairy it is ssp venosa if it is smooth, hairless and shiny it is ssp purpurea

Ok, thank you. I think my plant is a ssp. purpurea. Right now it's kinda frozen, since I forgot to bury its pot in the ground, so I had to put it into a garage. And also, how do I know when to repot it? Right now it's in about a 4" pot. I put it into it last year after it came outta dormancy. Should I repot it? Like into a 6" pot?

You should only need to repot it if
a) it has not been repotted for about three years
B) if the pot is filling the pot so there is no space for new pitchers
c) if the plant is starting to look uncomfortably large and top heavy in the pot its in

If it was only potted last year and the pot its in does not look too small for it I would leave it where it is. I think pitchers do much better and are much sturdier when left undisturbed.

Ok, thank you once again.

Following usual known rules, from seed to flowering size is generally considered to take 5 to 7 years. If home grown seedlings, under lights 24/7 for 2 full years, 4 to 6 years to maturity.

Hey, I thought CP's needed a "night time" when you turn off the lights and let 'em sleep.

-Rail

Well, I think that for baby Sarracenia seedlings (up to two years of age), you can grow them for longs periods of time under growlights, w/o dormancy. Not sure how or why though.

If they did as seedlings, CCFC, I wouldn't raise them as I do. Plus side, quicker maturation, and plants as big as a foot or more within 2 years. Third year, normal dormancy, or the plant dies from no dormancy. You have the first two years, so take the advice and run!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If they did as seedlings, CCFC, I wouldn't raise them as I do. Plus side, quicker maturation, and plants as big as a foot or more within 2 years. Third year, normal dormancy, or the plant dies from no dormancy. You have the first two years, so take the advice and run!!!!

Yep, |'ve had them flower in year three by sowing in November, skipping the next dormancy and giving them a rest the year after.

S. purpurea isn't an overly 'flowery' species in my experience and it tends to take longer for them to start flowering. Their rhizomes aren't as large as the other species, with the exception of psittacina, and consequently I find they take a while to bloom.

how about rubra or leocophyllia, since i have one i also have wondered when they will flower, both are a foot tall.

Normally, 5 to 7 years of normal growth will bring the plants to maturity. However, always be ready for the plant that is a late bloomer, or an early one. You NEVER know for sure. But the norm, is 5 to 7.

Back