What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia flava grow from seeds

I received some Sarracenia flava seeds from Trainspotting (Thank You). I would like to start to grow them. I want to do it right. Here is what I have in mind.I pick up one of Jiffy All-in-One Greenhouse's and hoped to use it with a couple of seeds per pellet. They are peat pellets. After the inital growth transfer them to a clay pot with a proper soil mix.
Some items to help. I live in south Florida. We have warm winters hot summers and lots of humidity.

So my question is this:
Is this a good way to start the process from seeds?

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Well that depends. Have you stratified the seed? Are you growing under lights? What do you have set up for cold dormancy, and would you take help on that subject??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Nov. 27 2005,6:51)]Well that depends. Have you stratified the seed? Are you growing under lights? What do you have set up for cold dormancy, and would you take help on that subject??
Stratified the seeds, hang on.
v. strat·i·fied, strat·i·fy·ing, strat·i·fies
v. tr.

1. To form, arrange, or deposit in layers.
2. To preserve (seeds) by placing them between layers of moist sand or similar material.
1. To arrange or separate into castes, classes, or social levels.
2. To separate into a sequence of graded status levels.
Basically I still have the seeds in the envelope I received them in. So I guess I have not arranged them in any way. I would take any help offered. Hell I just learned a new word.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Stratifying temperate CP seeds means to give them a cold, moist period for at least a month before exposing them to warmer temperatures, which will then stimulate germination. Basically, you need to simulate a winter, the end of which signifies the beginning of spring and warmer weather - this tells the seeds it's safe to come out and play for a year before the cold weather sets in again, by which time they would've grown strong enough to withstand the elements. Phew! And I thought I only knew about Neps!

Good luck!
Cheers

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Nov. 27 2005,7:07)]Stratifying temperate CP seeds means to give them a cold, moist period for at least a month before exposing them to warmer temperatures, which will then stimulate germination. Phew!

Good luck!
Cheers
Okay this sounds like I should put them in the pellets and then in the refigarator for a month. And make sure the pellets are moist.

I may be reading this wrong.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

No, no, you're absolutely correct, in fact. Visit this page for great information regarding growing Sarracenia from seed.
Enjoy!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Nov. 27 2005,7:15)]No, no, you're absolutely correct, in fact. Visit this page for great information regarding growing Sarracenia from seed.
Enjoy!
That page is a great reference. I need to remember to use google. Thanks a lot.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Understudy, Sho gave you the best way to stratify your seed. Stick with that method, and read all you can from as many CP sites as you can, and learn your stuff! You'll be growing with the Big Boyz before you know it!

Bug, I've been meaning to ask you, and now seems like an appropriate place (should you look back here!): Do you stratify your seeds in the fridge or do you leave 'em outside for the winter? (or some other super-cool mystery option?!!)

I put my seed in a vial of RO water and refrigerate it for 6 to 8 weeks. Then I put them on a 70 degree F. seed mat under lights, and wait.

I have also used the same method, saves alot of space
smile.gif
and more organzied and don't have to worry about a bag of damp lfs opening and spilling on produce :p

I use these methods:

1.) Wrap seeds in paper towel, wet them and wrap in tin foil. Leave in the fridge for 5 weeks. Sow on a windowsill under growlights.

2.) Sow on wet peat and leave in the greenhouse. Seeds sprout in April.

Well Guys the ziplock baggies arrived a few days ago. Some of the seeds are in the ziplock bags with sphagnum moss. Those very tiny ziplock bags are in the fridge with my VFT. I figure I will do a removal near the end of Janurary. I will try to keep you updated with my silly questions and notable events. I have read the web site I was given as a recommendation. But is there anything special I should look for?

Sincerely,
Brendhan

An update. The seeds have been in some tiny ziplock bags with a piece of moist spahgum. It has been a little over a week and some of the seeds have a little piece of root starting to show. I did the same thing Darlintona seeds in seperarte ziplock bags and it appears they are also starting to show little sprouts.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Back