What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

temps dropped for the winter......................

and my H. minor is loving it. its put on two pitchers much larger than the last. still cant get it to produce much in the way of nectar caps so i think my lighting is still off but it sure is enjoying the 10 degree drop in the ten gal tank its in that i have pushed up close to a north window. i may have have to add some compact fluorecents to the 4 footers im already using. i may have to get a pic of it but its got alot of pitchers that died over the acclimating period and im kinda worried about damaging the fragile rhizome trying to remove them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and my H. minor is loving it. its put on two pitchers much larger than the last.

My H.nutans, ionassi and tatei react the same way--they love the cooler temps. The H. heterodoxa x minor is constantly producing new pitchers and doesn't seem to care as much about temps, unless they get into the upper 90's (bad!)

But I don't have a pure H.minor or heterodoxa yet......they're near the top of my "to get" list.

I think I would be more worried about fungal disease setting in because the dead pitchers have been left on the plant. Pull the dead ones off. The rhizome is tougher than you think. If you hold the main plant with one hand while pulling the dead pitchers off with the other you should be able to remove them without upsetting the main plant at all.

I just snip the dead pitchers off with a scissors as far down as I can without torquing the plant in any way.

Capslock

Back