What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purple pitcher  dormancy zone 10

Hi,

Thanks to Lowes I was able to grab a purple pitcher plant. A very small one. I had it for about a week before I could transplant it. It hasn't been doing great. I transplanted it to a better larger pot than the plastic cube it came in. This is to hopefully help it get better so it can do well. Now I am gaining the understanding that I may need to stuff this in my refigarator for a couple of months because it needs a dormany period. I am worrid this will outright kill it. So I guess my question is how does a south Florida resident deal with a delapidated pitcher plant?

Sincerely,
Brendhan

I live in florida and all my sarracenia expect my seedlings have all gone dormant and I keep them outdoors. This is my 1st dormancy with sarracenia, so I hope it works.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A very small one. I had it for about a week before I could transplant it. It hasn't been doing great.

What did you transplant it into, and what are the other growing conditions (light, water, temps, etc.)?

As for dormancy, I can tell you what I do with my sarrs. I cut them back, remove them from their pots and remove much of the soil. I wrap a few strands of moist LFS around the roots and spray with some fungicide (captan) before putting in a plastic ziplock bag (dated) which goes into the crisper draw for a few months. Some people keep them in pots and some don't cut the pitchers, but I have very limited space in my fridge so that's why I do what I do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ Dec. 12 2005,1:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A very small one. I had it for about a week before I could transplant it. It hasn't been doing great.

What did you transplant it into, and what are the other growing conditions (light, water, temps, etc.)?

As for dormancy, I can tell you what I do with my sarrs. I cut them back, remove them from their pots and remove much of the soil. I wrap a few strands of moist LFS around the roots and spray with some fungicide (captan) before putting in a plastic ziplock bag (dated) which goes into the crisper draw for a few months. Some people keep them in pots and some don't cut the pitchers, but I have very limited space in my fridge so that's why I do what I do.
I transplanted it to a larger pot about 4" in diamter at the top. Plastic with drain holes. I mixed a Sphahgum peat moss andperlite at 50/50 and left an openinginthesoil mix to completly reove the current purple pitcher and it's soil in one move to it's new pot. I have been keeping the soil moist but not soaking. It is on the Nort East corner of my house on top of my open shelf. It catches plenty of light but it is not to direct. The temprature is based on whatever the ambient temp of the day is but since it sits at the corner of the house there is shade so I probably sit currently in the 70's during the day and 50's at night although the past couple of nights have been much cooler and temp during the day has been in the 60's but this will pass.

Sincerley,
Brendhan

That should work, Brendhan. Keep the soil slightly moist and it will stay dormant until late feb or early March. Then you can apply the water. For us growers in south Florida, I do not recommend the tray method except during the driest drought conditions. We find that in our semi-tropical conditions Sarrs do best if grown a bit on the dry side (for Sarrs-that doesn't mean grow them like a cactus).

Trent and Michelle
Boca Raton, florida

Back