What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coming out photos

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
These are pics of my little Ceph. I got him from the NACP auction. This is one that Steve (elgecko) put up for auction. I was a bit nervous about trying to grow a Ceph as I had read about how difficult some people found it to grow. So far this one hasn't been that difficult (knock on wood).

2005_0610_150654AA.jpg

This is a pic taken shortly after I got it on 6-10-05

2005_1221_020717AA.jpg

This was taken about 1:00am this morning when I should have been in bed sleeping
smile_l_32.gif

2005_1221_192312AA.jpg

This was taken about 6:30 tonight. I think it's a little redder than in the first pic. I have been sticking it under a lamp on my desk at night when I'm on the computer for the last 4 or 5 days. It started out green like in the pic of the first day I got it. The bulb in the lamp is a 26W CF and the Ceph is 4½" to 5" from the bulb. I estimate it's gets about 6+ hrs of light there. The rest of the time it's in my bay window getting bright indirect light.

2005_1221_132534AA.jpg

And this is my Hi-tech grow chamber. Yes, that's a piece of Saran wrap held on with rubber bands. I have one corner loose to provide ventilation.

Hope you like little Ceph!

BCK

I have to say that is one adorable little Ceph! Hope your proud!

Nice ceph! I also have one that came from elgecko.Looks like yours is growing good.Do you keep it wet all the time?I let mine stay on the dry side.

Jerry

Thanks guys. I am kinda proud of haveing gotten this far with out killing it
icon11.gif
. It's still pretty small but has pitchered like crazy. It had 3 pitchers when I got it and now has 11 with another just beginning to form.

I keep it moist. The pot it is in is the original container it was shipped in and is about 2" tall and 1½" wide at the top. Not a lot of room for error if I let it dry too much.

BCK

Great looking little Ceph BCK. It's amazing to see how much it has pitchered in just a few short months. Keep up the great work!

smile.gif
Awwwwwwwwww thats soooooo adorable.. cute little Ceph.
smile.gif
Looks like its doing really well and growing great.

Tracey wants a Ceph sooooooooooooo bad.. Boo Hooo..
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif

I'm most impressed with the use of Saran Wrap and rubber bands!
biggrin.gif

Your ceph looks like it is seriously short of light. You'll sometimes see white areas on the pitchers which are shaded by another pitcher above, but your whole plant looks white-green.

I also wouldn't bother with the plastic bag - it's a recipe for encouraging rot and botrytis.

BCK,
Looks like you are treating it very well.
I find cephs to be an easy plant. I have since added a "Hummer's Giant" to my collection, which is doing great.

Just gonna throw in my purchase picture and my current picture of my typical ceph.

Purchased:
Cephalotus-follicularis.jpg

What you can look forward to:
(4" pot)
Cfollicularis12_22_05.jpg

fantastic plant elgecko! how long did it take to mature to that size?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 22 2005,3:46)]fantastic plant elgecko! how long did it take to mature to that size?
Thanks.

I purchased the plant late summer of 2003.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Dec. 22 2005,1:02)]Your ceph looks like it is seriously short of light. You'll sometimes see white areas on the pitchers which are shaded by another pitcher above, but your whole plant looks white-green.

I also wouldn't bother with the plastic bag - it's a recipe for encouraging rot and botrytis.

Elgeco, I look forward to having it that size!
It's been in my south window getting dappled light and bright light. I think it's more likely in need of feeding. My pings get the same "anemic" green color if I don't give them a little feeding occasionally. I gave a pinch of bloodworm powder to a couple of pitchers this morning. I'll start adapting it to life without a bubble. Humidity is 38% in the window right now, so I'll take it slow to avoid sending it into shock.

Elcgecko, I look forward to having mine get that nice
icon5.gif
!

BCK

Elgecko, every time I see your Ceph I just have to say it's amazing! What a huge growth spurt from the time you bought it to now.

Isn't that the Ceph that's grown under just 30 watts of light?!

My turn. Here are pictures of two Cephs I got from Phil in late November. As it turns out, they were the last two of the ones being offered by PFT. They are small, and the pitchers are tiny, but very cool plants. I've got them in a LFS-peat-perlite mixture and they're living in a 10 gallon terrarium.

This is plant number 1. It's got bunches of pitchers and just a few leaves.
1771635Ceph1.jpg

This is plant number 2. It's got bunches of leaves and not many pitchers.
1771636Ceph2.jpg

I think I'm going to try to propogate plant number two using a couple of leaves since it seems to have them to spare...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Dec. 24 2005,10:51)]Elgecko, every time I see your Ceph I just have to say it's amazing! What a huge growth spurt from the time you bought it to now.

Isn't that the Ceph that's grown under just 30 watts of light?!
That's correct.

It started to get some color once I changed the bulb.
I change bulbs once a year, but I also tried a different type this time. I went with a ZooMed Flora Sun bulb.

I stated before about wanting to up my lighting but everything grows great with the 30 Watts of flourescents, I never did anything. I had 30 Watts for over 2 years on the tank.

I did upgrade and take a 15 Watt FL off add a 40 Watt CFL, bringing my total to 55 Watts now.

Let me add this about lights.

Think about this; Most people will say get 40 watt bulbs over your plants. Guess how long a 40 watt bulb is.......4' (48").

Now a 20 watt bulb. Guess how long....2' (24"). Half the wattage, because of it's half the length.

And now a 15 watt bulb is 18".

The amount of wattage relates to the length of the bulb.

If you where to measure the output from a 40 watt bulb, 20 watt bulb and 15 watt bulb, all the same manufacture and type, in a given surface area. The output on all the lights would be the same.

smile.gif
Thanks for filling us in on that elgecko, thats very intresting to know.

Whats your input on the ZooMed Flora Sun bulb? How well does it work and is it worth it over certain CPs?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jaxon @ Dec. 24 2005,11:20)]My turn. Here are pictures of two Cephs I got from Phil in late November. As it turns out, they were the last two of the ones being offered by PFT. They are small, and the pitchers are tiny, but very cool plants. I've got them in a LFS-peat-perlite mixture and they're living in a 10 gallon terrarium.

This is plant number 1. It's got bunches of pitchers and just a few leaves.
1771635Ceph1.jpg

This is plant number 2. It's got bunches of leaves and not many pitchers.
1771636Ceph2.jpg

I think I'm going to try to propogate plant number two using a couple of leaves since it seems to have them to spare...
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
WHOLY COW theres alot of pitchers on that tiny baby ceph..
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Very sweet looking babies ya got there. Nice pics.. I was supose to get a baby from Phil to but i didnt booo hooo..
smile_h_32.gif
Maybe come spring i will find one up for grabs somewhere..
smile_l_32.gif

Thought I'd post an update pic of my Ceph. On about Jan. 18th, I moved it into a 6" pot. It didn't even notice. Here's a pic of the new growth. If you look in the center just kinda between the two leaves, you can see an itty bitty pitcher that just started forming.
70059387O040959048.jpg

While moving it to the larger pot I discover "it" was "them". There's actually two cephs in there, growing right next to each other.

Later!

Back