What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormant pitchers

Well, my cps are well and truly dormant. I've been trying to keep them damp and we have gotten rain (they are outside), but the air is quite dry. The pitchers (S. purpurea, S. wrigleyana, D. californica) all look as if they are drying out. Is this normal, or do I need to keep them wetter? Or maybe mist them?

For comparison, the VFTs next to them are ugly dormant brown, but otherwise appear fine (not drying out or rotting).

Drying out and remaining green, or drying and turning brown?

The Darlingtonia is dried-looking but still green (although a faded green) the Sarrs are brown and dried-looking, though the areas nearest the ground are still greenish.

That describes how mine are looking, though my Sarrs have a little more green. In my limited experience with dormancy, as long as they aren't brown or turned to mush, they should be just fine come spring. The natural ebb and flow of temps and precipitation will be appropriate for the. Are they mulched at all, just in case of a prolonged cold snap?

Everything seems normal to me. Cut off any brown parts, leaving on green tissue.

That makes me feel better. No, they aren't mulched, but if it gets too cold, I can bring them in to sit next to the patio door, which while still cold is at least above freezing. I'll cut off the brown bits.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Anoxos @ Jan. 03 2006,1:22)]For comparison, the VFTs next to them are ugly dormant brown, but otherwise appear fine (not drying out or rotting).
Are there any green looking traps left on your vfts? they usually form a small rosette of leaves and traps that remain green throughout the dormant period. The longer old leaves from last season usually die off, but it is unusul for everything to die off during dormancy.

Back