What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So I've had most of my CPs for about a year now, and besides one unforunate mishap with a P. moranensis, most of my plants are pretty happy - except for my S. minor. They aren't in immediate danger, so far as I can tell, but they aren't growing well.
I have one ordinary minor and one 'Okee Giant' variety; the 'Okee' seems to be taking things the worst. I think it's the cold. They were probably the first of my plants to hit dormancy, and neither were particularly robust in the growing season - the 'Okee' only grew two or three leaves, and it's the larger of the two. The ordinary one grew at a reasonable pace, but hasn't maintained many pitchers.
My first thought is to get a little heater set up near them in my greenhouse. I think the greenhouse (which I just added this winter) will bring the humidity and temps up high enough for a good growing season next year, but I'd like to add the heater anyways to reduce the stress on my plants, as the wind makes my porch relatively cold and dry. Just for reference, I live in Olympia, Washington where the climate is a mixture of ocean and plains weather; mild, humid days, cold, windy nights, lots of rain and occasional freezes in the winter. My plants face west-by-southwest where they receive direct sun from shortly before high noon until sunset; the rest of the daylight is bright shade. I know my light situation isn't totally ideal, but the summers here are cool enough that the plants don't seem to mind having evening light. Any ideas on where I could improve would be great.
Thanks,
~Joe

Joe, where did you get your S. minor from? I purchased mine about 5 years ago from a grower in Washington and Homer purchased his a few years back from Karen Oudean in Snowhomish Co. Both sets of plants have always done fine in our weather. The only reason I asked about where you purchased yours from was because I was questioning how "aclimated" it may be toward weather up here. Maybe it was grown in a more southern latitude?

I have heard that the Okee Giant Variety of S. minor does appriciate live spaghnum over the standard sarracenia mix, but I don't have first hand experience with this plant.

All of my sarracenia have gone through dormancy outdoors for the past six years. I am not sure if a former grower, who at one time grew the Okee Giant variety in Olympia, kept his outdoors in the winter or not.

I would try putting your plants in the greenhouse, but without the heater. The shelter alone will keep them happy.

Joe,
I'm unclear why you're worried?

For over 10 years now, I've overwintered my Sarrs in an unheated garage here in NJ. They freeze solid most winters and look like trash (crinkled leaves, etc). So far (knock on wood), I've only lost 1 plant and that had a rotted crown from Botrytis (warm winter).

Although I get a pit in my stomach whenever I look at them, every spring the flowers and pitchers pop up... Keep them a little drier then in the summer and don't look at them much - they're resting...

Good luck.

Hi Joe,
I have a specimen that I received from Ron. *looks up* Hi Ron! Don't worry Joe! It's dormancy time! When I first received the plant, not quite two years ago, it was one crown (a very nice one though). I now have it in a two gallon pot and it almost has it filled completely. I have it in my usual mix of peat/perlite (2:1). I do have live sphagnum on top, but that was not to aid growth--just my habit because I think it looks pretty. The first year was ok, but it was in a smaller pot. Last year the thing took off--good luck and be patient. And thanks for a great plant Ron!
Joe

You really don't need heaters for any sarras. they can withstand seriously low temperatures. All you need to do is keep them in the greenhouse unheated and they will be fine. I'll bet there are not too many sarras in peoples collections that do still look good at this time of the year, unless they are in Oz where it is still summer.

You need to keep them sheltered from freezing winds.
The cold itself is not a problem but frosty winds maybe freeze-dry the soil and eventually kill your plant.

Oh, I know that it won't look good in the winter. I was just concerned because all of my other Sarrs really took off as soon as I got them. There's a readily apparent difference between their condition/growth and that of my other plants. My plants both came from Sarracenia NW, and as I understand it their clone of the Okee strain is one of the most difficult for them. They expressed concern over my location when I asked to purchase one and told me they've had it for quite a few years now and that they still have trouble keeping them stocked for sale because they're so slow-growing. I just thought that, since they are one of the southernmost Sarracenia populations, they would appreciate slightly milder conditions.
Thanks for the help guys - keep your fingers crossed for me!
~Joe

Back