What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Applying orthene/acephate

Woodnative, I have never had the experience of orthene bothering a chewer. The caterpillars here must be much different from yours. Around here, the caterpillars think of orthene as salad dressing. Hope it keeps working for you.

Bugweed-
I have used Orthene for caterpillars on other species quite successfully, although admittedly, not on Sarracenia. I suppose there is the possibibility the Sarracenia do not adsorb the material as readily (?). I do not doubt your results. Orthene has worked well for other Sarracenia pests for me and I never have had trouble with it damaging the plants. I imagine some of the Bt products would work just as well on Sarracenia for caterpillars, and are certainly safe for the applicator.

No arguments, Woodnative. Sevin works for caterpillars around here, but orthene, if it has worked on chewers, I have not seen it. I will now have to observe closer and see what happens to these crawlin' fuzzies! Thanks for the heads up. I will observe and post what I see. Remember too, we are on opposite coasts, and the results just MAY be different. So far, no chewers have died from orthene, but I will STILL observe closely. I might have just not seen it.

You know what works really well on pillars? A pair for forceps and a hungry Nepenthes pitcher!

Well, my friend Toni came over yesterday and we hosed down most of my collecton while repotting. Besides for the rain washing a little off, I think it went OK. I'll know more when we do the big pots this afternoon. I moved all my 3-inch pots into one- or two-gallon containers, and the big ones are going into five 12-inch bowls, so now I'm wondering more about where I'll put my plants rather than what's eating them.
Thanks again for all your help, folks.
~Joe

PS - When should I think about reapplying the malathion? I understand it isn't systemic or particularly long-lived.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Jan. 26 2006,9:01)]Guilty? What! You care!?!?!?!? Good! Do it. LIGHTLY spray with this stuff and do it in shade. Sunlight mixed with this stuff could burn the leaves. Spray, VERY FINE mist, leaves only. Some will drip into the soil I'm sure, but it hasn't killed any of my sarrs yet.
For non-systemic insecticides for which soil contamination is a problem, I flush the pot with rainwater after I've sprayed.

I have used Ortho's Systemic Insect Killer with NO problems for my sarracenia; I'd be more careful about using it on more delicate leaves, and keep them out of direct sunlight for a while after spraying, until a good rain comes by.

How long do I have to keep my plants in shade after applying malathion? I hid them yesterday thinking that with the overcast conditions light wouldn't be an issue, but today the sun has made an unexpected appearance and they are getting fairly direct light, despite being under a big table. Do I need to take super regulatory measures to ensure my plants are shaded? I'll make sure to put the ones I spray today in a better spot, but the malathion has probably already dried on the ones I did yesterday.
~Joe

JOE! RELAX! If it is as cool as I think it is, you will be fine. Every ten days, and you willl only have one more time to have to do this, so one more spraying. Then just keep an eye on your babies, and if a chew appears, then hit them again. Sarracenia Scott gave you an excellent idea. Flush the pots too.

Yessirs, pots flushed! I need to prolly do some more 'cuz the media was kind of dry after mixing, but most everything has been thoroughly wet. When I have time to refill jugs tomorrow I will water again - most of the plants need to be moved into new spots anyways. Everything appears unblemished, and I got several divisions in the process of repotting. Now to start my seeds...
~Joe

Thanks for all the ideas guys, just brought some flytraps and sundews in and saw whitefly flitting about. I've already got the othene so they should be dead by morning and the newly hatched ones in another week or so.

As far as toxicity orthene is relatively benign as stated, I once saw an old guy I worked for stick his hand in a tank of lanate to retrieve something, my jaw dropped. The LD 50 is 2 for oral and in the 1000's for dermal but why !! He is a still alive and a long story for another day.

Back