What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

quick... scale problem

Errr... some of my old sarrs got scale on them. Actually it was my mom who said to go post this and see if anyone can help. What is the best solution for rubbing scale off of a plant? Thanks.

Rubbing off scale is not very effective, altough some folks use alcohol on a q-tip.
I simply spray my Sarracenia with orthene. It does the job on scale.

Scale, whitefly, thrips, aphids, and mealybugs can all be handled with orthene. Orthene is systemic, becames a part of the plant, and all sucking insects will die. Very effective stuff, and easy to use. I put orthene in the base of my circulating bog in spring, and forget all about bad bugs. Sarrs can absorb orthene into their systems through their own roots. It WILL NOT harm the plant if used in the proper amounts. Leaf deformity is the worst I have ever seen happen, and that didn't last long. I use orthene on ALL my CP.

Yes the insecticide you use must be systemic or they will be back in no time. the thing with scale though is even when they are dead they still cling to the plants so you will need to scrape them all off if the plants are to look good again. With most sarras though the old pitchers will be cut off so it is not too much of a problem.

Back