What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia hungry for real meat!

In mid February I trim the dead pitcher from my plants in preparation for the new season of growth and any replanting/divisions that need to be done. My 7 year old daughter delights in examining the Sarracenia's takings from the past season's carnage within the old dead pitchers. It's become a yearly ritual. To our amazement she discovered that our S. flava is no longer a mere low level bug eater but has advanced itself to a much higher position in the food chain as a top level consumer. Notice the unusual contents in the photo below.

100_1154_35pc_2.jpg

The remains of a small American anole. Probably crawled down the pitcher in an attempt to "steal" some dinner only to become dinner! It was head first in the pitcher. To bad little lizzard, crime just doesn't pay!

that's awesome!

Nice! Ranks up therer with Bob's VFT caught treefrog! Very cool! I've got the regular expected "popcorn" in mine- mostly just flies and moths.

whoa thats cool, It says you live in Palm Bay, I used to live there about a year ago, if you ever want to visit a great grower in your area check out Dyflam, he lives in Palm Bay as well

Back