What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New problem with a ceph

I just got a ceph and the grower informs me that it has not been growing for awhile. He sed he got it maybe a year or a year and a half ago and it was growing a 1" pitcher and it had 5 shoots with smaller pitchers. Then the 5 pitchers just died off and it turned brown. Now it is the size of a penny or smaller and it only has one green pitcher. The grower said he grew it in his highlander tank but im now growing it in humid lowlander conditions. Temps:80-84 during the day, 71 at nite Humdity:75-90% and one compact flourecent 25watt bulb. Will it recover or is it a goner?

Those conditions make it sound like there would be little air movement and little light.

I give my ceph a dormancy of sorts in winter - I just put it on a windowsill in November where it's happy growing none-trapping leaves throughout the winter. In April it goes back in the greenhouse.

The light level is very strong but the air movement, yes, is very little. I could open the top more though. The 25 watt lite is equivelent to 100watt so its plently strong. So any more recommendations?

I agree with Alvin. You might need more light over those plants. I'd (at the very least) get another 25 watt bulb, making it 50 watts total.

As far as your Ceph goes, I really doubt it's a goner. You just need to give it some nice conditions and a little time. I don't grow any of my Cephs in high humidity and they do really well. We're talking as low as 20 percent and they pitcher just fine. Also be sure not to keep it waterlogged. That's a sure way to kill it! I water all my Cephs via the tray method and let the tray stand dry for a few days before adding more water. This has proved to be successful for me.

Good luck!

OK sure I think Ill do that. The thing with 2 compact bulbs instead of one. OK thanks

Back