What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OMG!!!!!

I just did the stupidest thing EVER!!!! The ceph that a fellow terraforumest traded me had these small white crawly rolly polly insect things in the soil so I didnt have any safe insecticides with me and I couldnt go anywhere until tuesday so I repotted it!! I know that the roots are sensitive and hate being repotted but I took a chance and wat happens? A root snaps!!!! Will it be okay? I planted it in a moist 70/30 perlite/peat moss mix. Will it be okay? Wish me luck....

dun dun duuuuuuun if the main root isnt gone it might have a chance. good luck!
alex

Yea a real long root is still there. Does anyone have any idea wat the little rolly polly things were?

Soil sounds fine, it may need quite a while to recover, but I'm not sure how it will respond to a snapped root. I've heard they are quite sensitive to just good luck with it!
smile.gif

pot the snapped root up and start yourself a root cutting!

DARN!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!!!! I made quite a mess in the hurry and panick of repotting that I had to vacumm up the remaining soil and in went the root. DARN!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Did you save the peice of root for a root cutting (assuming you could find it in the soil)? I had something similar happen when I transplanted my ceph into a larger pot about a month ago. Careful as I tried to be when removing it from its first container, I still felt something snap as I lifted it out. Don't know if it was a root or whatever. I wet the soil down thoroughly around the ceph in its new pot stuck it in my south window and crossed my fingers. I expected it to just sit there and sulk as I had heard this is often the case when they are transplanted. But it hasn't slowed at all and has produced a couple of pitchers since then. I wouldn't get to worried if yours just sits there in suspended growth for a bit. If it does die back, don't throw it out as some people have had theirs come back from the roots when they thought it was completely dead.

EDIT: in the time it took me to type this you've had 2 people respond. I think I'll just take a nap
smile_n_32.gif

Enjoy your nap Steve! CF, I had a plant with no roots establish and do just fine.

I just repotted mine tonight into a 60/40 peat/perlite mix with a handful of LFS tossed in and ripped up for flavor. Upon taking it out of the pot, I didn't snap anything or bother the roots at all, didn't even spill a pitcher!
smile.gif

I didnt put in LFS but I was in a hurry to repot it becuz I didnt want those disgusting little bugs on my plant. It now has no leaves or pithcers so it cant photosynthesize but do u think it will still grow?

I would have washed off all the old soil with some lightly warmed RO water to get all the bugs out of the soil unless you already did that. Then I would have repotted into a fresh soil mix. Uhm what do you mean no leaves or pitchers...thats really all a Cephalotus consists of right? What is it, just a little growing point nub?

When I repotted my clump of baby Cephs a few months ago I disturbed the little roots quite a bit. I was pretty upset, thinking that my little guys would die. But here I am, a few months later, and they're still growing strong. They never even slowed down!

Goes to show you that Cephs are much stronger than people give them credit for.

Yes its just a root and a root stub ( the one I damaged) and this white greenish thing that I dont know if its a root or something. The long strong tough root is black which I think its supposed to be? The white thing is under soil rite now and Im not sure where its supposed to be. I just stuck the plant in there where the root pointed down. The whitish thing that hung off from the middle I just put in the soil facing downward. I dont know wat to do!!!

Can you get a photograph? PS anything green or alive looking needs sunlight unless its the tip of an active root.

Thats the problem!!
I dont know if its an active root.
Ill get a photo but all it will be is a pic of a pot of wet media. And I dont wanna dig it back up for a photo shoot.

No I mean a picture of the top of the plant, not the root.

I'd like to see a picture of the top of the plant as well. I'm willing to bet that the plant is saveable, just because I've had so many plants look dead, but with some proper care they bounce right back.

Ok so should I get the white thing to the top of the soil where it is exposed to light?

Ceph green thing
Other picture of green thing
I think the green thing is alive and it mite grow a pitcher since it seemed to have fuzz on the end sticking out of the soil.
smile.gif

Sorry the pictures arent that good. My camera cant get that close to something without messing up the whole picture

Can you describe the white rolly poly things in the soil a little better. If they were maggot like, they could be fungus gnat larvae, which will nibble at the roots of your plants. Usually you will notice adult flies about the same size as fruit flies, flitting around the pots.

Back