What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SARRACENIA PHOTO THREAD

Ha!! I guess I shouldn't complain about the cold. All relative.......
Wow, how do you protect those pots in winter??

Alex: I'm in WI, not far from Minneapolis. I think zone 4.

I move them into the garage once it starts getting too frigid.  i'll move the seedlings in for the night if it gets below freezing, although I have had 1st-year seedlings survive overnight temps of about 18 fahrenheit, without any protection.  i think it got up to about 35 here today.   mid 20's at night.   i won't let it go much colder than that before i move them.   i think last year it was the week of thanksgiving. In my experience, this genus is a lot tougher than people give it credit for.

HPIM0934.jpg

HPIM0931.jpg

HPIM0913.jpg

This is I think an hybrid between Lecuophyllia and Flava.

Hmmm really? The lid reminds me of a rubra.

Either way, it's a beautiful plant
smile.gif

yea to me it looks like rubra x leucophylla also... its looks pretty though
Alex

They look like they're doin nice though!

Thanks guys. That one did great this summer. It had the most growth. Also, june bugs just loved to sacrifice themselves to the nourishment of that Sarracenia. Wasps/ Dirt dobers are just too crafty.

Unknown Sarracenia seedling, Dunecraft kit (included species mixed seeds flava, minor, alata & rubra)

01020019.jpg

01020016.jpg

01020014.jpg

note fluid in third photo & new leaf bud.

Sarracenia seedlings always look so weird.

I like the lizard in the background.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAntiLion @ Dec. 04 2006,1:19)]Sarracenia seedlings always look so weird.

I like the lizard in the background.
yea...and you cant tell them apart either!!

bog buddy haha.
Alex

Awesome dude!

yes very nice!
'Judith Hindle'
Same

I was playing with my aunts camera. i got some good shots and some not so good shots. any suggestions?
Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Dec. 06 2006,4:56)]I was playing with my aunts camera. i got some good shots and some not so good shots. any suggestions?
Alex
I guess it depends on what you mean by "not so good" - are they not good because of a technical flaw (out of focus, blurry, wrong exposure - too dark or light) or just don't look so good (composition etc.).

If it's technical matters you're probably working outside the limits of the camera or in the wrong mode. Did you switch to macro or close-up mode for those close-ups etc. Did you try turning on the flash and selecting the mode for that (backlighting, fill-flash etc). A quick read of the user manual will probably reveal the errors of your ways.

If it's a matter of composition, check some art (painting and drawing) or beginner's photo books on the basics of composition.

At least with a digital camera you can toss the bad pictures without wasting money for processing.

So just follow the age-old advice and "Practice! Practice!"

Back