What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SARRACENIA PHOTO THREAD

Hey everyone since most of the plants are exiting their dormancy now, at least for me I figured I twould be a good time to start the Sarracenia Photo thread for this year again! I'll get some photos later hopefully.

Edit by Alvin Meister:
Please put all photos in here to keep the forum from becoming cluttered. I've deleted threads not containing photographs from a few weeks ago so we can get straight into the photos.

some of my plants are starting to wake up, most notably some seedlings.   here's the first to send pitchers up.  it's a two-year-old   (leuco x oreo) x minor cross of mine.

leucoxoreoxminor3.jpg

leucoxoreoxminor4.jpg

here's what it looked like last summer:

leucoxoreoxminor2.jpg

A bought a new camera a couple of months ago but I'm still learning about it since there's not much to snap in winter. I seem to have stumbled across quite a soft picture quality (they are in natural light setting, but on a wet day), but they look ok. I'm quite impressed with the cobra flowers even if I do say so myself
biggrin.gif

Anyway:

1.jpg

S.x flava var. cuprea x popei

2.jpg

S.x leucophylla x popei

3.jpg

S. flava var. flava "Maxima". The flower tilted after just a couple of days, even though it hasn't been pollinated.

4.jpg

S.x alata x flava 'Burgundy'

5.jpg

Darlingtonia.

6.jpg

S.x catesbaei

7.jpg

S. purpurea ssp. venosa

8.jpg

Pygmy drosera.

Here's 3 pics I snapped today:

2yrseedlings.jpg

These are a couple of 2-yr-old seedlings.  The one on the left is (alata x leucophylla) x flava.  The one on the right is 'Citronelli' x (flava x psittacina).

flavaminor.jpg

This is my first flower of the year, S. flava x minor

whiteknightcyp.jpg

This is my 2nd flower of the year, S. x 'White Knight', which is an alata x leuco hybrid.  Next to it is a pink lady slipper that is just about to fully open.

not all of them are Sarracenia, but here they are
P1010154.jpg

S. leucophylla 'Chipola River Fl."
P1010147.jpg

P1010153.jpg

S. alata 'Beauragard Parrish'
P1010155.jpg

D. filliformis ssp. filliformis
P1010158.jpg

P. moranensis 'J'

P1010163.jpg

N. "miranda"
P1010168.jpg

D. intermedia 'great swamp'
P1010169.jpg

D. spatulata
P1010175.jpg

P. primuflora
P1010187.jpg

N. "miranda"
P1010188.jpg

S. flava var. cuprea
P1010189.jpg

Dionaea muscipula
DSCF0259.jpg

Bufo americanus we have two toads where I live, this one and Bufo fowleri. this one was taken at my school....in the courtyard of all places  we just built a pond last year, and they showed up. odd thing is, the courtyard is circled by walls, and no one put the toads in there.

Those are some really nice sarracenia pics there David
smile_m_32.gif
Looks like you're doing a good job with your plants.

smile.gif
thanks, I took some pics this week. Some of the plants grew alot bigger, plus the leucophylla flower is open all the way now

P1010170.jpg

Geranium maculatum- native woodland flower
P10101516.jpg

P1010160.jpg

Aquilegia canadensis- native flower, hummingbirds love these things
P101014.jpg

P101015.jpg

more pics of my S. leucophylla flower
P10101510.jpg

another pic of my S. alata 'Beauragard Parrish' well it could be marron throat, but I think its Beauragard Parrish. Have to wait until later this year when the better pitchers form cuz i kinda mixed the labels up
smile_h_32.gif

Love the red/yellow columbine David.
cool.gif

here's a couple of flowers:

oreoxpurpxleucoflower.jpg

(oreophila x purpurea) x leucophylla

flavahybridflower.jpg

unknown hybrid, probably flava x catesbaei, based on pitchers.

really getting a lot of flowers opening, finally:

alataxmooreiflower.jpg

unknown hybrid, i'm thinking something like alata x moorei

bobzh2flower.jpg

unknown hybrid, from BobZ, called H2

catesbaeiflower.jpg

purpurea x flava

dixiepurpflower.jpg

'Dixie Lace' x purpurea

leucoxmooreiflower.jpg

leucophylla x moorei

mitchflower.jpg

a plant i've always referred to as a mitchelliana, but I think there's something else in it, besides purp and leuco. what, i'll probably never know.

oldunknownflower.jpg

another unknown hybrid i've had for quite some time, i think it's either a flava x rubra or flava x readii.

oreoxflavaxleucoflower.jpg

(oreophila x flava) x leucophylla

redblushflower.jpg

'Red Blush'

rxooxfflowers.jpg

(rubra x oreophila) x (oreophila x flava)

flavaxminor.jpg

flava x minor

The first two are the Pitchers in their safe place (a call of hail and gusting winds and a possible tornado) But get pleanty of light! The others were just an hour and a half earlyer!

S. x Dixie lace (or scarlet bells unno)
d7ad3a46.jpg

S. leucophyla (with ant)
b569d67e.jpg

S. leucophyla (earlyer in the day)
PICT0794.jpg

S. purpurea Flower
PICT0801.jpg

Cheers

Here's a Sarr. hybrid whose name I wrote down when it was given to me and promptly lost as soon as I got it home.  Looks like it has some leucophylla in it, duh.

Pretty, though.

sxleuc.jpg

Here are a few of mine...

Enjoy,
Steve

bigred.JPG

S. moorei "Big Red"

oreo.JPG

S. oreophilla

frmb1.JPG

frmb2.JPG

S. flava rubricorpa x mooreii burgandy

purple.JPG

S. leucophilla "Purple Lips"

I will contribute a couple of photos.  The first pitchers are just opening up in central NJ, and still a couple flower buds left to open.  Photos of mixed items.
First pot includes "Dana's Delight", two young leucos,two purpurea purpurea heterophylla.  The plant on the bottom right of the pot was grown from ICPS seed of S. rubra jonesii.  A neat looking hybrid nonetheless!
IMG]

Another pot including leuco "Hurricane Creek", another "Dana's Delight", "Flash", S. flava, and some others

Looks like I'll have to show my wife this thread. She thinks Sar flowers are the "so pretty". She actually picked a Sarracenia as a door prize at the last CCPS meeting because of the flower.
smile_l_32.gif

You guys have some really nice Sarracenias!

Back