What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia dromancy

Hello. I just repotted my sarracenias and cut off all of their leaves. All of their leaves turned brown because of very, very cold weather and I could see some green part at the middle of their 'wound'. Is it dead or alive?
Thanks.

It is likely to still be alive, due to having some semblence of greenery.

It's probably alive and well. It is not uncommon for some sarras pitchers to brown off in a cold spell. In a few weeks you should have new pitchers to take their place. The main growing point should still look firm and very much alive.

I agree with the other two posts! A picture would probably help, but if you can't get one, then just wait it out. Goo'luck!

Thanks very much for all the replies. I'm going to take a picture and post it.

I'm growing my sarracenia indoors in my house. Is it ok for me to use the open tray method or should I keep it covered? Also, does it constantly need water?

Sarracenia are great outdoor plants. They thrive in swampy conditions. As soon as your weather is consistently above freezing, you should consider putting it outside. They love light and swamp and open to the air!

Will Do...It's pretty cold here in Michigan so I'm just counting down the days until Spring

Same in Buffalo! I see a warm for the forecast though.. Go Pistons!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm growing my sarracenia indoors in my house. Is it ok for me to use the open tray method or should I keep it covered? Also, does it constantly need water?

Keep it in a tray filled with an inch or so of water. Don't cover.

It will only need to stand constantly in water once it has woken from dormancy and is actively growing. If it is still asleep then just keep it damp for now.

Back