What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I splurged about 50 dollars at cooks (not including the S&H) :-D

getting several plants

flava mixed varieties
Alata 'Maroon Throat'
psittacina typical
leucophylla typical
And a VFT Dutch Cultavator
I am also getting A S. Minor and some Utrics. but not from cooks... Cant wait!

and some other suplies that arent important, sence im getting mainly Sarrs i figured this would be the best place to post about it! I only had a s. purpurea venosa and a s. purpurea purpurea (i bleive some kind of cultavator) and a s. scarlet bells i think. so it will be a big change in my collection... no neps unfortunetaly... dont really have to room! ill post pictures... it was a long descion!

Cheers

sounds great! I just spent almost 150 dollars over at cal. carnivores, this is truely an ADDICTION!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Mar. 03 2006,9:07)]And a VFT Dutch Cultavator
WOW! A Dutch cultavator for just 50 bucks! Is it a male or female and what does he/she do for you?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

How much for just the cultivator alone? If it's female is she cute. I'm liking the sounds of this. I might have to check Cook's out for myself.
smile_n_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif
lol you guys are hillarous...
I dont think my GF would go to much for that
confused.gif
To bad lol
laugh.gif

Totaly for got about this post and i really cant wait! Im so excited.. Its such an addiction i for got about my short water problem.... going to have to buy water and save up for a R/O unit... or some kind of rain colleccter (dont have enough rain half the time and winter freeze would break the collector) does one have a sudgestion of what to purchase?A Rain Colector (not sure what they used to put the Shingles down) or a R/O unit?

water is $.89 wich isnt that bad.. but it will add up quick... and 2.39 for 2 and 1/2 gallons.... dunno if ill have enough money by the time im through with it! I use about a gallon a week now so. just incase 2 gallons a week isnt half bad of an investment

Cheers

Look around for stores that have water dispensing machines in them. Around here I have the Wal Mart in Salida (50 mile round trip) that has a machine that dispenses RO water at 33¢ per gallon and the local grocery store has one also. They sell their water for 35¢ per gallon. About half the price of the already bottled stuff they sell.

I've considered an RO filter, but decided I could but a lot of RO water from the store with that same money and not have to bother with maintenance or upkeep.

Right well i plan on getting tons of CP's eventualy, and i will need lots of water... it can be cheep for a good while... but after a while the prices can build up.

Cheers

I just made a rainwater collector! Here's how:

Make a 2'x3'x4' frame out of 1/2" PVC pipe. Cover it on 5 sides with clear plastic sheeting, preferably 4 or 6 mil. At this stage in the process you have what is known as a cold frame/mini greenhouse. I like to put plants inside, to keep the frost off them. Be prepared whenever it rains with several clean milk jugs. Leave the frame out on a rainy day, and you'll end up with either a few gallons of water, or a flat plant collection.

The one downside I see with my plan is that plastic sheeting can't handle a lot of frost or a lot of sun. Perhaps greenhouse vinyl would be a better investment.

Peter

It probably depends on how much you expand your collection. Back when I had only 3 VFTs I used to buy the distilled water from the store @ $.79/gal and it would last me a couple weeks. As my collection expanded, so did my water consumption. Eventually, I was going to the store to fill up 5 gallon jugs at the vending machine for $.25/gal. The cost was fine, but when you go through 5-7 gallons per day, the hassle gets to be a bit much. I have a small R/O now that provides me with all the water I need, and I dont have to drive anywhere to get it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Mar. 06 2006,4:29)]I just made a rainwater collector!   Here's how:

Make a 2'x3'x4' frame out of 1/2" PVC pipe.  Cover it on 5 sides with clear plastic sheeting, preferably 4 or 6 mil.  At this stage in the process you have what is known as a cold frame/mini greenhouse. I like to put plants inside, to keep the frost off them.  Be prepared whenever it rains with several clean milk jugs.  Leave the frame out on a rainy day, and you'll end up with either a few gallons of water, or a flat plant collection.

The one downside I see with my plan is that plastic sheeting can't handle a lot of frost or a lot of sun.  Perhaps greenhouse vinyl would be a better investment.

Peter
a better rain collector (IMO) would be to take that same PVC frame, put plastic on the top only, cut a round hole in the plastic slightly smaller than the opening of a large funnel.
bolt the plastic funnel to the underside of plastic sheet with 4-6 brass bolts.
(use brass so it wont rust..they cost mere cents on Home Depot)
make the plastic sheet a little loose so the weight of the funnel pulls the plastic down at the center.
stick a 5 gallon bucket under the funnel.
(also cheap at H.D.)

you can easily get 5 gallons in an average rain storm!  
smile.gif

thats how I used to collect my rain water..except I attached a tarp to 4 corners of my balcony, rather than use a PVC frame. the tarp had metal grommits in each corner, I used "mini bungee cords" to attach the corners of the tarp to the balcony..brass hooks were screwed into the balcony walls.

the tarp could be set up in seconds when rain was imminent, and taken down when not needed..
used it for 3 years!
(i dont think I ever took a photo!! too bad..I should have.)

Scot

Well im planing on building a fairly decent sized bog (in the yard) I also have a Terrium, And will be getting space for lighting and more tropical plants, utrics and things of the sort, i use about a gallon a day, but with the bog, and every thing ealse. Ill be needing water.

cheers and thanks for te sudgestions.

So My sarrs and Things got hear, today, i wasnt expecting the sarrs til next week but low and behold it came hear earlyer than expected!!

My Grow list is updated, i havent realized how many i have up until... now!

I never saw my self growing so many! But i am! ITS CRAZY!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
The only thing that has its leaves are the psittacina. but when i was transplanting i was amazed at how big the rhizones get! (it was just a cutting of one but DANG!! lol second year jitters are setting in....
confused.gif
)

Cheers

You know what you need to calm your nerves, right? A fix of more plants! You'll be fine. Those rhizomes can be huge, and woody, right?! Enjoy your plants. Look for my Sarracenia collections in our upcoming NASC auction in May.
biggrin.gif

I wish! Then i would be stressing about water!

Cheers

Back