What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus looking bad

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I've had a Cephalotus for about a year and a half and it had been doing fine, producing new leaves and giving me winter leaves to sprout new plants, as well as producing new shoots. I was taking cuttings of winter leaves and saw that the plant looked close to death, like it was dried out. Is that what sudden death looks like?

Today i c a dry leave of my ceph...i hope she is ok, i cant help you jim, but i just wanna tell you i hope the ceph get well soon, and wanna give you a lot of hope!, Cheer!!!
smile.gif

jim, I had this happen to mine, or something similar. It declined rapidly, and in desperation I removed all the dying leaves and pitchers, carefully rinsed all the media off, sprayed it with a fungicide, and repotted it in new media. Can't say what it was or if it would work for you, but I've got tons of new non-carnivorous leaves and a few pitchers starting. Good luck!

Capslock

Thanks, Max! I'll have to buy some fungicide. Any recommendations? I took like 6 winter leaf cuttings and a shoot that accidently got severed in the leaf pull process. I will definitely rinse and repot.

I can't say that has ever happened to me Jim, but I really hope your Ceph pulls through!

Thanks, I got it from Elgecko ~16 months ago, in a visit.

SCOTT, what are you doing to the ceph I gave you!!
smile_n_32.gif

Is the center crown looking dead, or just a pitcher that started to inflate and browned?
I have had it where a pitcher will start to inflate, then all of the sudden it browns and dies. This might because of not getting enough light? It has happened on my typical ceph that has pitcher on top of pitcher on top..... sometimes the ones lower down will have this happen to it.

In case you missed the shot of the pile o pitchers.

CFtyp.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Mar. 09 2006,7:20)]SCOTT, what are you doing to the ceph I gave you!!
smile_n_32.gif
I think he is trying a new experiment. Taking all of the leaves off of his ceph to see if the ceph can survive.
smile_n_32.gif

Do you guys know how many leaves & pitchers does Ceph has to have before I do leaf cuttigs?
Thanks.

It was doing fine all winter long and just this week it started acting like a D. adelae. The only leaf that is green is the one right in the center - one of those that looks like a half pitcher, with a hole in in the middle. I have 6 or 7 winter leaves saved out, as well as one shoot that was accidently severed.

Little Nices: I am only familiar with using the winter leaves (the flat, paddle shaped ones) for leaf cuttings. Maybe other have tried the actual pitchers, but,...
confused.gif

Dang! You guys' cephs are drying up and dying...ours here are rotting and dying...
confused.gif

(i just want a ceph.........)
smile_h_32.gif

Hopefully, the main plant will recover. I think that the accidentally severed shoot is okay. There were 6 winter leaves for sproutnig purposes - and that will take some time before I see results and even more time before I can trade with someone. Well... that's the plan, anyway.

Back