What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another ceph in trouble

Back on March 10th I got myself a baby Cephalotus. It was a healthy little sprout, and it gradually got bigger, but then, recently, I noticed the one of its leaves had gone yellow. I hoped it was just a fluke, but then another one went. I moved it to stronger lights and added a dome to lock in humidity. This was taken March 30th, which was also when I did some reading and thought maybe I'd been overwatering it (I'd been watering into the tray after it had emptied).
121660242_94679998a7.jpg

I emptied out the water tray (which I'd filled the previous day) and haven't given it any water since.
Today, more yellowing:
121660243_232661eb9b.jpg

Here's what the set-up looks like:
121660246_3218430954.jpg

Please advise.

I would take the dome off and put it back to where it was. Keeping a dome on will only lead to fungus and putting it to a place where its getting more light than before will probably upset it further. As of now, I would just leave it alone and water it once a day (in the a.m.) from above, let it drain, and that's it.

I would remove the dome.
I do not use a water tray on my ceph's. I water twice a week.

It may be a natural response from potting it up three or so weeks ago..what do you have it potted it(the planting medium)? You got a pretty good plehtora of things growing on the surface there already.

Cheers,

Joe

I'm not really sure. It includes vermiculite. I'd only purchased the plant a couple weeks before this started. I assume there's something about my apartment it doesn't like.

It's down to two leaves now. I feel like I'm watering the dead.

Hi there:

This is part of the slowly adaptation process of cephalotus.
"One must never remove the soil the plant came with". If you want to use new compost, dig up a hole in the middle of the pot and put the old soil with the plant in the middle and then you can cover the rest with the new soil.

Another factor contributing to yellow leaves is the lack of light. These plants love long light exposure. Please make sure your plant is exposed to at least 8-10 hours of continuous illumination until more growth becomes visible. It's the only way to counteract the continuous death of the leaves.

Gus

Ceph are very slooooooow growers.
When you shock them, they can stop growing for some time. I've repotted my large one some time back. It took 2 to 3 months before it took off growing again.
Hopefully yours will come around, give it time.

The plant lives!

It was down it's last leaf, but I've finally got a setup it seems to like, and there's some new growth slowly coming in now.

Basically, I put it on the windowsill under a light, leave the window permanently open to keep it cool (my apartment is very warm because of the hot water pipes running through it) and I bought a humidifier to point at it. I've also switched to watering from above, roughly daily.

I'll post a photo of my not-dead plant soon.

I am positively giddy.

Back