What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first Ceph

I finally got my first Cephalotus. I would post a pic but I can hardly see it with the naked eye. How hard are these things to grow? I was going to use the tray watering method. I read they don't need much light. Are they fast or slow growers? The pics I've seen on this forum make them look like sundews with pictures.

I grow mine in a 6" pot filled with 1:1 peat:perlite mix topped with LFS. It gets about 6+ hrs of full sun in my south facing window. It's been growing at a steady rate since I got it, putting out a new pitcher every 5 weeks or so. They aren't fast growers by any means. Once yours gets settled in it will pick up the pace a bit.

When I got mine last June, it was about the size of a quarter. It's now about double that size. The last pitcher was the first mature pitcher and just under and inch tall.

I may move mine out of the direct light when it starts producing its next pitcher to see if it grows larger than the last pitcher grown in direct light.

I had a problem with both my cephs not producing a single new pitcher or leaf for 2 months after I got them. Each plant was very small about 1'' in diameter. I had them growing in a terrarium with a 10 hour photoperiod and cool white fluorescent bulbs (80 Watts). Once I increased the photoperiod to 14 hours and switched two of the four cool white bulbs with two daylight bulbs both plants started growing at a fast rate. Each plant started putting out multiple pitchers and leaves every month. Hope this helps you some.

Chris

Here's a very important tip - You must NEVER overwater your Ceph! Cephs are notorious for rotting and dropping dead due to keeping the media too moist. Use the water tray method, but let the water dry out in the tray for a few days before adding more.

Other than that, Cephs are pretty easy plants. They don't grow very fast though, so paitence is required.

Here is a pic of my Ceph. Is he small or what? I think the one picture is dead but there is some new growth. As you can see, I got another free sundew.
Picture%201154.JPG

That is definitely one tiny Ceph! Keep up the good work though. It'll be huge in no time!

Back