What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purpurea

Can someone help me identify which form of S. purpurea I have here?

1869600Spurpurea.jpg

If the pitchers have a fuzzy exterior (like peach fuzz) they are venosa, and if they're smooth, they're purpurea. That's really all that I know. But, it looks like S. purpurea ssp. venosa since the pitchers are tubby and squat. Just wonderin' though, but where do you grow it? As in, when does it get light? Morning, afternoon, or all day?

-Ben

Since I pulled it out of the garage a few weeks ago it's been getting direct sun for about half the day. Today I moved it and the other Sarracenia to a spot where they will get full sun all day.

Kirk, a chipola means it came from the Chipola River region in Florida. I think its s. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkei. The flower will tell you more. If the petals are a very light reddish-pink to a very pale flower, then you have var. burkei. A deeper red may mean ssp. venosa. However, from the size of the expanded hood, it is burkei, IMO. Still, the flower will tell you more than any leaf ID. Let us know the flower color.

Nice plant. I really like the ruffles the lid of the pitchers.

If I remember correctly from last year the flower was a very pale color. I'll see if my memory is any good once this year's flower opens.

Jaxon, I think your plant is s. p. venosa var. burkei. The expanded hood is USUALLY a giveaway, but variation in purpurea can be a real headache. Flower ID is always best, and knowing more about the differences that make a subspecies a subspecies, or a variation, a variation can go a LONG way. Love the color BTW. Very nice!

Back