What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia seed to flower in 28 months?

I have two 27 month old hybrid Sarracenia sending up flower buds. Is this unusual or common with hybrids??
These plants are from open-pollinated seed from my own plants, but I don't know their exact parentage. Seed were collected late in 2003, stratified, and allowed to germinate January 2004. At eight months old I have a picture of the one plant with 8" high pitchers. They were kept under lights the next winter, and finally placed outside last Spring (2005). I put them out too early and they "burned" from sun and/or cold, but recovered over summer, and were allowed to go dormant last fall. I now notice flower buds coming on 2 of the 3 I saved from this batch. Neat!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Woodnative @ April 13 2006,8:19)]I have two 27 month old hybrid Sarracenia sending up flower buds.  Is this unusual or common with hybrids??
These plants are from open-pollinated seed from my own plants, but I don't know their exact parentage.  Seed were collected late in 2003, stratified, and allowed to germinate January 2004.  At eight months old I have a picture of the one plant with 8" high pitchers.  They were kept under lights the next winter, and finally placed outside last Spring (2005).  I put them out too early and they "burned" from sun and/or cold, but recovered over summer, and were allowed to go dormant last fall.  I now notice flower buds coming on 2 of the 3 I saved from this batch.  Neat!!
Very Very, unusual. Sounds like you have some very special plant. My one year old Sarr seedlings are only about 1 inch in diameter. I would love to see some pics.
dewy

Definately try crossing them to eachother and seeing if this extremely fast growth will carry to the offspring.

I will get some pictures once they flower and when the first traps of the year come up. I wonder if it is just hybrid vigor. The plant is nice, looks like a leuco/rubra cross. I have a couple of these, so this in fact may be one or both parentage. I have some S. leuco grown from seed at the same time which have pitchers maye 7 or 8" tall now but are skinny and probably at least two more years to flowering.

I think it is the leuco in the cross that does it. I have a leuco x popei hybrid that its just starting its third year sending up a flower bud. Hopefully it is a sign of a monster sized plant in the making.

Back