What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sarr dormancy

ok, its my first time with a bog thats comeing out of dormancy and the rest of the plants int the bog except for the sarr's are all growing and im just kinda worried that the sarr's are dead, the base buds are green im just really worried seeing everything is growing excpet them. i have made sure the bog is still moist and wet. i live in zone 5/6 so when do u think i should expect them to start growing again? should i cut back the dead pitchers or leave them?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (z5guy @ April 19 2006,1:43)]ok, its my first time with a bog thats comeing out of dormancy and the rest of the plants int the bog except for the sarr's are all growing and im just kinda worried that the sarr's are dead, the base buds are green im just really worried seeing everything is growing excpet them. i have made sure the bog is still moist and wet. i live in zone 5/6 so when do u think i should expect them to start growing again? should i cut back the dead pitchers or leave them?
Check the rhizomes. If theyare brown and mushy, then they are probably dead. If they are firm and white, thenn everything is OK. Since it has been in the 50s and 60s up there, I would say that your plants should begin showing signs of growth around May 1st.
dewy

I live near Niagara Falls ,Canada and I was FULLYconvinced that my S.flava "cuprea" was dead as a doornail from the warm wet winter (I have maybe 5 inches of head-space in my pots and they were FULL of water a lot of the time under the mulch)

There were no phyllodia, no signs of anything above the "muck"

So the other day I figured I would pull out the dead plant bits and get the media ready to wash out for more specimens...
The first rhizome was DEAD, nothing left of it but some kinda brown chunks, but when I pulled out the second one, there were flower buds all over it- needless to say I was delighted, I cleaned off all the dead-ish crud and potted him back up, since then the buds have risen a couple inches and what was a failure on the outside (and a SAD one at that, this plant is several years old and has HUGE pitchers with really nice, solid coloured lids) turned out okay...

Just posting this here to cheer you up- if there's green o be seen in the pot where your plants is/was, then you've got WAY more hope than I had
biggrin.gif

ok, sounds promiseing, ill keep ya updated.

Back