What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It seems like every spring at least one of my patio bogs becomes infected with the fungus that causes "root rot." This year the victims were my flowering saracenias (I had to cut most off to save the plants).

It's become almost a yearly ritual of carefully removing the plants, cutting off their rotten roots, and kneading the new 50/50 sand/peat mix. You should see the looks from my yuppie condo neighbors and the horror in their eyes at all the mess!

Is there anything preventative I can do?  I don't reuse soil. I keep the bogs in a well circulated 4 floor balcony, I use low mineral water, and I let them go into dormancy outside in winter, with little or no water.

Curuiosly, it only seems to bother the bogs with living moss on top. Is there a relation?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of moss is it? Is it long fibred sphanum moss? Like this?:

AF002101.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 22 2006,7:04)]What kind of moss is it? Is it long fibred sphanum moss? Like this?:
No, it's a short moss, similar to what one would see growing on a shady rock next to a creek. I've seen it on the soild that comes with many CPs in the stores.

Sorry, I'm not a moss expert so I really can't say more.

Terminus, Trent and Michelle Meeks of Sunbelle Exotics in Florida has had a lot of problems with rot in his area. I discussed with him at length what I thought about the cause of rot. Not to get into details, I have learned that plants on a drip system of some kind usually have less incidents of root rot than other plants. I think the water moving through the soil draws oxygen through it, making the soil base healthy and oxygenated. In my ciculating water bog, I have had no incidents of root rot whatsoever, and the sphagnum grows thick and fast! Pics are in the pitcher plant forum in the pinned topics. This bog is already past 15 years running. And in direct sun with temps as hot as 110-114 in summer!
I am not exactly sure what system Trent and Michelle went with, but he also reports incidents of losing plants to rot has dropped drastically. Try that. The moss shouldn't make a difference.

Try getting hold of some trichoderma. It's a friendly fungus that comes as a brown powder. Add it to water and water your plants. Over the next few months the trichoderma clings to the roots and multiplies. You won't be able to see them, but they stay with the plant for life. They attack plant pathogens such as botrytis and rot and lots of people swear by it.

Have a look on ebay for some. I treated my collection two weeks ago.

In the meantime, I would try repotting your plants in live sphagnum moss. The extra airation should cut down your root rot.

Trichoderma? That's a new one on me, Alvin! I may try that myself on undrained tubs!

Back