What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus seed

Ok i was lucky enough to get some cephalotus seed from ICPS. So basically i heard that you dont need to stratify has anyone done tests to see if the germination is improved with and without stratification. I am guessing its best but just curious.

in my limited experience, with a few other people sowing the same seeds, the only person who got great results (well, okay, ANY "results") did NOT stratify...

(usually when I post something about Stratification, Bugweed comes along and sets me straight, so you can begin your countdown)

But a few folks I know who have flowered Cephs and then sown the seeds thus produced did NOT stratify them, either.
You might try and split the batch and see what you get??

Well thats exactly what i did so i will conduct this study to test whether stratification is neccesary. Half planted and half sent into the fridge for 8 weeks. I Will have later results and i hope i at least get some to germinate.

I stratify the seed for 8 weeks prior to sowing and have had good results. A person at the NECPS who has many (30+) large cephs in his collection, many from seed, told me to do this.

yes i had enough seed to try it cause i heard they can sprout without strat. but ill see.

Hi all:

Ceph seeds can germinate without stratification. Technically speaking, the soil in SW Australia never goes below 4 degrees Celsius or 39 degrees fahrenheit.

Gus

Back