What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

parrot pitcher plants

k i got 3 parrot pitcher plants that are flowering and i was wandering should i get them pollinated? and if so how do i do it? i see the anthers and pollen but i dont know what part of the flower is the stigma or pistil or whatever it is lol

Go into the North American Saracenia Conservancy page as though posting a thread. At the top in gray are, again, the pinned topics. 4th from the top (last time I looked) is the thread on sarracenia flower pollination techniques. Read it, then you'll know.

wow that aritcle was confuseing to my small brain i think ill self the flowers i was wandering could anyharm be done to the plant while trying to pollinate it

well nm i dont think ill try to pollinate ill just leave them alone and if they pollinate natuarlly great if they dont fine with me......no harm can come out of that right?
smile.gif

In-breeding is not very desirable and the flowers are specifically designed to prevent it happening naturally.

It's dead easy to pollinate - take a paintbrush, shake the flower and collect the yellow pollen that falls into the umbrella. Go to flower 2 and rub the paintbrush on the 5 little nodules on each of the five corners on the inside of the umbrella.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/Sarracenia.htm

Back