What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Although most of my CP are Venus Flytraps, I have one Sarracenia purpurea, two Drosera capensis, a Drosera adelae and a single pot of Cephalotus that has turned, in the two-and-a-half years I have had it, into a small colony (see photo below).

I am not familiar at all with Cepalotus. I obtained two small divisions through a donation to the Meadowview Biological Research Station in Woodford, Virginia, US and planted them both in an 8-inch (~21.5 centimeters) pot with 6.5 inches (~16.5 cm) soil depth. I like to give all my plants plenty of room for expansion and deep root growth.
smile.gif

I have wondered about these little plants for quite some time. The pitchers don't fill with rain water, and seem to purposely avoid rain by closing the hoods over the pitchers.

Do these plants exude a liquid only when stimulated by captured prey? Or do they keep at least a small amount of the digestive fluid in their traps most of the time?

I have cut open old Cephalotus pitchers that have dried, and found what look like two oval patches near the bottom of the pitcher, one to either side, that I speculated might be the areas that produce and exude the digestive fluid.

These are strange little plants. Very conservative in a way, slow and deliberate with their above-ground growth, prone to stop growing for a few to many weeks at a time for no apparent reason, interspersed with growth spurts at equally odd times, with a tough substance, more woody in their root system and leathery in their leaves than most other CP I have experience with. Mine are planted, as Peter D'Amato suggests, in a mix that is heavy in sand (2 parts by volume of silica sand to 1 part sphagnum peat moss) in order to be well drained and help guard the woody roots against rot from being too wet too long.

At one time I opened the individual hoods of the pitchers a little and sprayed some distilled water into the pitchers, thinking they needed at least some fluid to drown their prey. But then when I noticed that the trap hoods seem to close when rain seems impending, I stopped that practice.

I catch small ants on a piece of waxed paper that I have dotted with sugar water, then bring them in from outside and shake them onto the Cephalotus. Many ants escape, but many go right for the lip of the pitchers. I have also fed flies to the pitchers, but often our large flies are able to escape from the small pitchers.

I still have a lot to learn about Cephalotus, but it is a very interesting plant.

Photo of my Cephalotus plants taken Sunday, May 14, 2006--

cephalotus-follicularis_01.jpg

Very nice Ceph!

Yes, Cephalotus is a strange plant indeed. I've only been growing it for roughly a year now and like you I still have much to learn. I never feed my plants insects but I do spray them every two weeks with a diluted fertilizer. They seem to like it and I often see better growth as a result.

Thanks for the suggestion, LLeopardGGecko-- I hadn't thought to try a weak fertilizer spray, but I'll try that (conservatively at first) and see what beneficial effects it may have.
smile.gif

No problem. I use Epiphyte's Delight and you can get it at Home Depot.

Cepholotus, like Nepenthes, need stimulation to get the juices flowing. so if yu put a live fly with one wing(so it doesnt fly off) into your pitcher within a day or so that fly will be floating in digestive juices. very noce plants by the way!
alex

I always thought cephs looked like a macabre cross between a Clam and a Ladyslipper orchid.

I've found that they do well in very deep pots. My largest cephs have 1 to 2 inch tall pitchers and are planted in 6 inch diameter 9 inch deep ceramic pots. I wish I'd snapped up more of those pots when I had the chance. When I have done cuttings, the plants grown in 4 inch tall plastic cups always do better for me and grow larger than the ones in the 2 inch deep square pots. I'm also trying out a 12 inch tall, 6 inch diameter planter with a very young ceph to see how it does. The container is a painted metal bucket thing for putting flowers in. I got it at the Christmas Tree Shops for like 3 bucks and drilled a large drainage hole in the bottom and smeared some JB Weld epoxy on the cut edges to prevent rust.

I feed my young cephs with a kind of Beta Fish food called "BetaBioGold". They are perfectly formed little balls about 1/16th of an inch diameter that drop right in the pitchers. They also work well for my young neps.

Another tip - never water near the crown of the plant, but instead around the rim of the pot. It helps prevent them from rotting.

I hope this helps.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I feed my young cephs with a kind of Beta Fish food called "BetaBioGold". They are perfectly formed little balls about 1/16th of an inch diameter that drop right in the pitchers. They also work well for my young neps.

That's very interesting! Does the fact that these little food pellets don't move cause the cephs to not exude as much of their digestive fluid? Does anyone know if cephs keep a pool of digestive fluid in their traps at all times, or whether they are stimulated by movement of prey to exude the fluid?

Regarding convenient food for CPs, I recently tried using dry cat food for my VFTs. I would break the cat food into small pieces, then place an appropriately sized piece in several VFT traps, then gently massage the trap a few minutes later and a few minutes after that, until I was sure that the trap was responding as though to captured prey, by closing tighter to form a seal around the trap.

However, at night, some little creature (a mouse I believe) came into the sunroom (an enclosed backyard patio) and chewed open every trap in which I had placed a piece of cat food and ate it, and in addition had chewed a couple hoods off pitchers of my Sarracenia purpurea and apparently drank the water in the pitchers. The creature continued to visit for the next few nights, because additional Sarracenia hoods were chewed off, but not eaten. I found them next to the plant in the morning.

Since then I haven't tried the experiment again, but now I think I'll try it with both the VFTs and perhaps a little dry cat food in one or two pitchers of the Cephalotuses, just to see what the results may be. The last time was during late winter / early spring, when the CP were on the floor under a window in order to be chilled for dormancy by the sheets of cold air dropping from the inside of the glass. (That works well, by the way, for those of us whose winters may be a little harsh.) Now that the CP growing season has begun again, all of them are on plant racks or tables, and the mice have plenty to eat outside so they won't raid the greenhouse (I hope!).

Thank you very much WildBill for the information and tips (regarding the beta food, deep soil depth for cephs, etc.)--
smile.gif

I'll share a tip with you. I know how these plants are grown at MV. I too got my cephs there but I went there to get them in person. Phil grows these in HUUUGE plastic pots (tree-size pots). The soil mix is mounded in a big hump well above the rim of the plant. The cephs make runners like mad and so there are loads of individual plantlets popping out all over the raised mound. I have seen them at MV grown both in a greenhouse and outdoors.

So, I copied what I saw. Of course I used a smaller pot (8") and I mounded the soil up like he did. And sure 'nuff...once it settled in, the plant made runners and I got several offshoots growing in the same pot. At one point I had 4-5 new plants.

Its just my THEORY that when the plant makes runners and the runners hit the edge of a pot...they stop. If the runners grow out of the soil, they start a new plant. My other cephs planted "flat" in pots have never made runners and new plants.

Just my own experience.
smile.gif

Awesome PAK ! Now I gotta repot the cephs and remodel my grow area for some more space. I'll make sure the wife knows it wasn't my idea !! I'll give you all the credit.
smile_m_32.gif

lol Aww...go ahead and look like a brainiac. Tell your wife you were thinking and had this brilliant idea!
biggrin.gif

Well, I was just trying to copy what I saw at Meadowview, but on a smaller scale. Phil's pots were covered with clumps of cephs.

As soon as my surviving Ceph leaves strike I will be copying the deep & wide and mounding thing, along with lotsa sand and some LFS. Wow, this has been one educational thread!

Yes it has, and when I finaly get one I will know how to care for it. Thanks everyone!

Here are some pics of my cephs in the deep pots. All are planted in the "Charles Brewer Mix".

This one was given to me in December with 4 tiny pitchers which are now obscurred in the photo by the larger ones. The pot/can is 12 inches deep:
Ceph1.jpg

A Ceph and a Ceph "Hummer's Giant". The pots are 6 inches in diameter. The one on the left had but a single leaf in January 2003 at the first NECPS meeting.
Ceph2.jpg

Ceph3.jpg

Absolutely beautiful. You have some very well grown Cephs there, WildBill.

I've been holding out, but after this thread I'm ordering a Ceph.

smile_k_ani_32.gif
Mine are all tissue-culture size! Wildbill, what's your growing conditions? I know one thing for sure, they need cooler temperatures. Cooler is anything less than 80s for me.
smile_n_32.gif

They have been grown in a humid terrarium under shoplites that are on about 18 hours a day. Last year, I put the ones in the 9 inch pots outside once it got warm enough. They were located in bright shade - maybe a few speckles of sunshine. In the fall, they went back into the terrarium.

Cindy - see if you can find "BetaBioGold" fish food which may just barely fit into you plant's traps. I got mine at Walmart for a little over 3 bucks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (WildBill @ May 22 2006,10:35)]Cindy - see if you can find "BetaBioGold" fish food which may just barely fit into you plant's traps. I got mine at Walmart for a little over 3 bucks.

Your cephs are beautiful and look extremely healthy WildBill! Thank you for the tip about BetaBioGold. I'm also going to look for it at Walmart (or elsewhere).

I mentioned some weeks ago that I was going to try bits of dry cat food in a few of my ceph traps to see if they liked it. The results? They don't. I think that the cat food has too much oil, among other things. Several of the cat-food-fed ceph traps have shriveled and dried, and I have cut them from the plant.

Fortunately, my cephs are in an active growing phase and putting out lots (several) new traps. The traps that I fed live insects to (bugs that got caught in my rainwater-collection barrels) are doing well, but it would be very convenient to find an alternative food supply, so the Beta fish food sounds like a good idea. How did you think of that? I don't believe I would have thought about giving fish food to CP, but it makes sense, since the fish food is a substitute for the fishes' insect food.

Terraforums is filled with great information from good growers!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ May 17 2006,4:03)]The soil mix is mounded in a big hump well above the rim of the plant.
Could you post a picture of this?

Back