What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BigCarnivourKid,

No, I can't say that I have tried seeds in just water. I have heard of people getting cuttings to root in distilled water,but I haven't tried that either. You really should try Dip N Grow Liquid rooting hormone. I'd say that I usually have 98% success rooting cephs with it. It also seems to make the cutting have multiple growths that turn into nice clumps.
They will root without it, but it speeds up the process. Sometimes you can very carefully remove the leaf from the new growth and root it again.
Later.
Jeff

I'll have to look for Dip n Grow. May have to order it over the internet. None of the stores in town seem to carry anything but Rootone and I've tried that on my Nep cuttings. It didn't seem to make any difference in how fast they rooted.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 08 2006,2:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Scarlett @ June 07 2006,8:31)]jimscott - I am new to Carnivorous plants. Started out with a VFT and it just exploded from there. I have various Nepenthes, VFT's and Saraccia's. The Cephalotus I ordered will be my first one - hopefully I'll be able to keep it alive.
As a caveat, many of us have experienced a "sudden death" phenomenon. That's what happened to mine, from the plant that Elgecko gave me, after 1.5 years of doing fine. Whenever "winter leaves" appear, I pull them and start new plants, as a backup.

No sundews, butterworts or bladderworts?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Do winter leaves look different that the regular leaves?

LOL I have A sundew. I'm sure a butterwort and bladderwort will make it into my collection at some time.
smile.gif

They sure do! This particular species has like ~3 or4 discernibly different types of leaves / pitchers. Did a Google and found this excellent picture:

800px-CephalotusFollicularis2.JPG

Ok. Does it matter how large they are becaue the Cephalotus I have is very, very small.

Thanks for the picture jimscott - I appreciate it.

You're welcome! I've always used a mature winter leaf, which is ~3/4" long. The plant may not have anything to use at the moment.

I was going through older pictures that are being hosted on a different site and came across a picture of the Cephalotus plant that I previously rejected for the Photobucket account. So this is a pic from my collection, taken in 2004, illustrating winter leaves. Not so pretty as the one I Googled!

C_follicularis.jpg

So, I have a question. In the past few months several of my older Ceph pitchers wilted away simultaneously, after a stint of no new growth. I thought it might be sudden death due to root stress so I gave the container better drainage and prepared for the worst. It seems to be putting out new growth again, but the petioles of the pitcher leaves are much longer; the larger pitchers are on petioles almost an inch long. It's a clone from a mature plant taken in August '03, so is this just part of its mature growth pattern, or a sign of stress? Before this latest flush of leaves my plant had always been rather compact, although the pitchers appeared to be of adult size for a typical specimen. I haven't changed my setup in any significant ways, besides placing the pot on gravel for better drainage as mentioned.
Thanks,
~Joe

That's tears it! I'm buying a ceph!

I have a soil question.
Where can i get silica sand/sand that is appropriate for cps? I've looked everywhere but can't find it...

and If I can't, could I substitute perlite for cephalotus?

Go to a place that sells swimming pools. The pool filter sand is pure silica sand. That is where I bought my sand and have had no troubles.

I have used the following soil mixes for cephs, and have not seen any advantages over the other. (unless you consider that the sand mixes are heavier.)

equal parts: perlite / peat moss / LFS.

equal parts: sand / peat moss

I'm with elgecko with pool filter sand, but I also asked questions at Home Depot about sand being sold in Building Materials:

Sand Research

thanks, never would have thought of trying a swimming pool place.
home depot sand and my plants really aren't good friends

How about info on light. Full sun, shade partial or what? also should it sit in water? if so How deep for a 4" pot? For winter growth how close to the lights?

full sun will make small read/purple pitchers. shade will make "big" green ones, and part sun will make nice sized pitchers with some purple coloration.

i let mine sit in a half inch of water and refill when it evaoprates. mines in a 4 inch pot.

i keep mine the same distance from the lights all year.

You can also keep your plant in less light until the pitchers get large, then put them in more light and get the red coloring...so you can have the best of both worlds. Depends on how you like your pitchers colored.

just got my 3rd one, hopefully third times a charm. it will be going into a tall pot this weekend. i have a feeling my second one would have been fine had it not been small and i had not gone on vacation

IME, in a lowland tank atleast, good airflow is imperitive.

I have a question for anyone who has been to the meadowview nursery (PAK?)
What conditions do they keep their ceph's in? I know about the deep pots, but that's about it. I ask because my ceph from them is arriving shortly and it would be best to replicate the conditions there.Thanks.

Back