What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sassin rassin frassin

schloaty

Staff member
Man! I was all excited for the flower on my purpurea. I think it's venosa (Home Depot rescue), but this would have been the proof. Also, it was my largest bud of any of the sar scapes this year - almost as large as a ping pong ball.

Giant down pour broke it off! WAHHHHH!
smile_h_32.gif

Sorry Schloaty -

Similar thing happened to me yesterday. We had a crazy fastmoving thunderstorm come thru which knocked my Amorphophallus Voodoo lily off the deck. The plant had a 6 foot tall flower stalk about to open. I'd put it outside that day, so it wouldn't stink up the house. The fall bent the stem and snapped 8 inches of the point of the flower off. 5 minutes later it was bright and sunny. Aarrgghh!!

I just decapitated a Nep pitcher while transplanting it. I know... not as devestating. Pitchers don't produce a bazillion seeds. Does it count that a hanging basket collapsed onto this setup, knocking over the trays, destroying the Byblis plants and a few other easily replaceable plants?

This
th_AF001501.jpg
+ this
th_AF001101.jpg
= disaster.  
mad.gif

Jim, you should write a book called "Jim's series of disastrous disasters."
smile_n_32.gif

I feel for ya.. I had a pitcher on my S flava "Red tube" that got snapped nearly in half one day. I never could figure out what happened to it although I suspect feline intervention here. This was gonna be a really cool pitcher. At the time it got broken it was already as tall as the previous pitcher. It would have easily been a couple inches taller. Interestingly enough, even broken in half, it opened and colored up just like it had grown out normally.

brokenpitcher.JPG

Cheers
Steve

Steve, it's a jungle in there - and a nice looking jungle at that!

Dewy: LOL!

Steve...that doesn't look like a flava red tube to me.  That plant has leuco in it.  ??  I have a nice photo of a red tube but I can't post it now since I'm at work. Perhaps yours is a leuco "red tube"?

Yep...plant disaster's are painful.  Especially when its something you were waiting for.  I remember how excited I was waiting for MY VERY FIRST Sarracenia flower to open.  Just before the bud popped, I went out to check it and found it neatly sliced off as if someone had cut it with scissors. I assume squirrels did it.  I was absolutely crushed.

--------------
OK...here is a photo.

http://www.pitcherplant.com/image_folder1/sfla_cforms.html

I laughed out loud when I read your topic name, no offense! I always say
"Racka fraka stakis!"

Cartoons are the best aren't they?!

Tom
(who got his first sarracnias today, a very small rubra and 3 very small purpunia's from Lowes!)

Back