What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. flava?

I received this from Cooks, a couple months back Finaly producing its first pitcher, Im wondering.

PICT0806.jpg

1- is this normal for young S. flavas?

2- Infestation? I sprayed it with some Orthene (diluted)

3- it looks more like some kind of alata or rubra

Cheers

i would say its S. Alata...my S. flava var rugeli 's lid 'neck' wraps pretty far around to the back. my younger same also does this so 1 is out of the question...
good luck
alex

it's too tough to tell what it is due to it being disfigured. sometimes bugs will suck on it while the pitcher is developing, and when it opens, it will be all deformed. i actually see this alot, especially early in the season. also, if you just got the plant a couple of months ago, it was likely divided this spring by Dean and it may be a little weak.

personally, i see no reason to rule it out being S. flava at this point, but I'd wait for a pitcher to develop normally before trying to figure out if it's something different. If Dean said it is S. flava, then you can be 99.99% sure that's what it is.

What sarracenia just said. S. flava can go through many changes before it settles into its new home. Sometimes (like my new maxima flava), it just looks like crap for a while. When it settles in and starts putting up new stuff, show us again. Most sarracenia can take a couple of years to really settle in and start looking gorgeous.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Most sarracenia can take a couple of years to really settle in and start looking gorgeous.

Which is more than we can say for most people.

smile_n_32.gif

True, Est, true! Of course, we're too much for anybody, right out of the gate!!!!!!! Too gorgeous to be believed!!!

Oh, yeah!

biggrin.gif
So im guessing Transplanting it In the spring next year would be kinda stress full and it might not put up as preaty of pitchers yet?

Oh well I guess I can wait a little bit!
smile_o_32.gif

Cheers

If you need to repot, it's probably best to do it in the winter, although they don't suffer too much at any time. Sometimes they go through phases of producing funny pitchers and sometimes a plant that's always looked terrible suddenly grows the most spectacular pitchers. That's why having a few plants is good because you've other to look at if one's in a sulk.

Back